• In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

WHat are the chances....

#26: April - June 2006 & Nov. - Dec. 2010 (Non-Fiction)
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

WHat are the chances....

Unread post

Does anyone here feel that there could be a confluence of circumstances that would bring about another atrocity such as the Witch Hunts? Crusades? Inquisition?Do we think that the Christians are immune to irrational belief taking over again as it has so many times in the past?Should we just give the Christians a pass because they have not persecuted or killed anyone RECENTLY?Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.Once you perceive the irrevocable truth, you can no longer justify the irrational denial. - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
riverc0il
Senior

Re: WHat are the chances....

Unread post

McCarthyism could be argued to be a Witch Hunt. I think with enough hysteria, anything is possible and I doubt these types of irrational blame and punishment games will ever be completely removed from human history. History teaches us what to be weary of, but humans don't learn well from History.Not sure where you are going with the whole Christian thing, this could happen to any group of peoples.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

I specified Christians because I wanted to avoid people picking on Muslims and trying to point to terrorism. Also, I have heard much lately that Christians no longer persecute or kill in the name of god and was wondering what it would take for that to come about again. How far has the Christian mindset really come, since many look at Muslims as barbaric and a sub-par faith.I think we are close to something like that with the current state of affairs with terrorism and the uber patriotism and crusade like talk.That was all I was bringing up. My thoughts.Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.Once you perceive the irrevocable truth, you can no longer justify the irrational denial. - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Thanks to seperation of church and state Christians no longer are killing the unfaithful.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

misterpessimistic: Does anyone here feel that there could be a confluence of circumstances that would bring about another atrocity such as the Witch Hunts? Crusades? Inquisition?Absolutely. I'd say it's probable that things like that will happen again. And they don't necessarily have to be related to religious belief. They could just as easy be the result of a secular panic. For that matter, political motivations have provided that justification for some of the biggest mass killings of the last 20 years.Do we think that the Christians are immune to irrational belief taking over again as it has so many times in the past?I don't think anyone's immune, and I don't think Christians are necessarily more prone.Should we just give the Christians a pass because they have not persecuted or killed anyone RECENTLY?Should we chastise the Christians because people they never met killed and persecuted in the name of their religion? Christianity is not a single organism -- it's not like the rabid dog you kill because you know it's not going to stop biting people. Individuals make the decisions concerning what they will and will not do with their religion, and the judgements that apply to one religious believer don't necessarily apply to another person of the same faith.

Return to “The End of Faith: Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason - by Sam Harris”