• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 709 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:09 am

Planning to join in on the discussion?

#28: July - Sept. 2006 (Non-Fiction)
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Planning to join in on the discussion?

Unread post

Since summer's steadily rolling to a close, and BookTalk is soon due to snap out of it's current drought, I thought I'd check in and see if anyone else is still planning on joining the discussion. We've got a pretty good discussion going with the four or five of us, but we'd love to see more participants, and it's certainly not to late to catch up. Sound off if you're thinking of joining in!
rstephenbrown

Re: Planning to join in on the discussion?

Unread post

I've just started Fromkin, the latest in a series of books I've been reading in an attempt to get a handle on the deeper issues and history of the Middle East and how they inform current policies of all sides.Latest reads include Bernard Lewis's "From Babel to Dragomans," and from the other side of the Orientalism debate, Edward Said's "Orientalism." Also reread Yergin's "The Prize: The Epic Quest for Oil, Money & Power." His history of oil politics in the region seems especially relevant: the realization by the British, French, and Russians of the necessity of securing stable (!) oil supplies (since oil began replacing coal in the world's navies during the course of WWI) meant negotiating (Allied) control of oil fields as part of the post-war map. This, of course, led to all sorts of political and competitive entanglements with Mid East governments in the years immediately following the war. We continue to reap that harvest.A similar line of inquiry could be the commercialization of empire, as oil companies became partners in the foreign policies of Europe (and eventually the US). [in the threads about the decline of empire]I've enjoyed reading the posts. I found you by Googling "Wyndham Deedes." As I get further into Fromkin, your discussions will be a welcome companion.
rstephenbrown

Unread post

P.S. I had looked up "oil" in Fromkin's index and found no entry. But in scanning the remainder of the book, I stumbled upon pp 354-360. Will be interested in following up on his take on the beginning of the politics of oil. Edited by: rstephenbrown at: 8/16/06 9:47 am
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

Hiya, R, glad you could join in.Someone else mentioned that they were surprised at how minor a role oil played in Fromkin's book. I think it's probably explicable in two ways. 1) Fromkin probably has valid (which is not to say inarguable) reasons for deciding that oil played very little part in the history of the period in question. 2) Most people associated the whole of the ME's political and economic importance to its oil reserves, and Fromkin may have wanted to counter that assumption by placing the emphasis on other factors of historically equal importance.I have Said's "Orientalism", and read about the first third, but decided at that point that I should go back and refamiliarize myself with Foucault's "Archaeology of Knowledge" before I got too deep into Said. Once we finish up with Fromkin, maybe I'll revisit Said, and we can discuss that as well.As for Bernard Lewis, I've read one or two of his books, but some of the criticism and reviews that I've read of him in recent years makes me wonder a bit. It seems that he's tended to shift between two poles, such that he can be an exponent for the beauties of Islam one day, and advisor to the Bush Administration's designs in the ME the next, without any discernible principle to differentiate between the two. I'd be interested in reading two of his books that represented the different poles of that apparant contradiction in order to see how it played out.
riverc0il
Senior

n

Unread post

sorry, i disappeared on this one. i have had a lot of summer projects i have been working on and also wanted to do some pleasure reading. with all the latest news, i was starting to get angry any time the middle east was mentioned so that also made me lose interest in the book. i still want to finish the book, but i just can't get into it right now so i don't think i will be able to rejoin this discussion.
SirLadyInsane

I'm a newby

Unread post

Hello, I'm new. I was wondering if it's to late to get the book and join in????
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

It is far from being too late. We've actually got more than a month left in this reading period AND you're joining at the perfect time to help us pick our next nonfiction book or books.Oh, and welcome to BookTalk!
luisdelafuente

1E - BANNED
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Hi, I'm new too and I'm planning to join this discussion. But first I have to find the book, and since I live in Spain, I am looking the way to find it here, as ordering it from Amazon would probably take one month to have it here.I'll keep you updated.Regards,Luis
luisdelafuente

1E - BANNED
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Finally, I found one copy in stock at Amazon.fr. At worst I'll have it with me in seven days, so you can count on me for september.Regards,Luis
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

Glad to have you aboard, Luis. Now that I've finished up "Breaking the Spell", I'll be devoting a lot more attention to "A Peace to End All Peace", so you can count on having at least one person to discuss with whom to discuss the book.

Return to “A Peace to End All Peace: The Fall of the Ottoman Empire and the Creation of the Modern Middle East - by David Fromkin”