• In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Who plans to participate in this discussion?

#38: July - Oct. 2007 (Non-Fiction)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Who plans to participate in this discussion?

Unread post

I'm curious how many of you intend to get involved and immersed in the discussion of Noam Chomsky's Interventions. The more people we have participating the better the discussion, so please consider getting a copy of the book right away.Here is a link to Amazon.com where you can purchase a copy of Interventions.Who plans to participate in this discussion? Results (total votes = 7):Count me in!&nbsp5 / 71.4%&nbsp Ummm...maybe.&nbsp2 / 28.6%&nbsp No can do.&nbsp0 / 0.0%&nbsp
George Ricker

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Junior

Re: Who plans to participate in this discussion?

Unread post

Count me out.George http://www.godlessinamerica.com"Godlessness is not about denying the existence of nonsensical beings. It is the starting point for living life without them."Godless in America by George A. Ricker
RaulRamos

Unread post

I hope I get my copy soon enough to be able to participate...
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Barnes & Noble had it in stock today so I'm all set!What I like about this book is that we can pick it up and read any of the columns all by itself. There doesn't appear to be any reason to read the entire book from front to back in sequential order.
Dissident Heart

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!

Unread post

Chris,What if we organize the threads like this:1. Editor's Note/ Forward2. Chpts 1-43. Chpts 5-84. Chpts 9-12 ......etc. up to chapter 44. I think that adds up to 12 threads including Editor's Note/Forward.The first thread would include the names of the chapters:Chpts 1-4:1. 9/11: Lessons Unlearned 09/04/022. The United States versus Iraq: A Modest Proposal 11/01/023. The Case Against the War in Iraq 03/03/034. Now that the War Has Begun 03/24/03..... and so on.Many of the chpts cover the same issue (war in Iraq, Israel/Palestine, Democracy, the Media, etc.) but they are in response to the pressing demands of the time in which they were written; thus, they are not the same argument in a vacuum, but a consistent line of reasoning that pans out over time as events unfold....at least, we will discover just how consistent Citizen Chomsky really is- or isn't. Edited by: Dissident Heart at: 7/3/07 10:39 am
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Your method will work fine. I just bought my copy of the book last night and just finsihed the first article entitled "9/11 Lessons Unlearned." The only problem I see is that the book is really not set up in a chapter format. Visitors might be confused if we call the article, "Iraq is a Trial Run" as Chapter 5. From past experience I have a feeling that many of these articles won't get any activity at all. But others will become heated debates stretching out for weeks and dozens of posts. There is no way to tell which article will get the focus until we start reading.What if we all just create a new thread whenever we want to comment about something we've read? We could make a rule that every thread must be the name of an article, if it is about one of the articles. And everyone must first check to make sure that a thread doesn't already exist for a particular article before making a new one.I'm open to suggestions. And you can do whatever you want. if you want to create the threads as you detailed above please feel free.
0HalfTruth0

Unread post

I don't have a copy yet, but will get one soon.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

This book is hard to put down. I'm up to page 50 and am hoping more of you guys join us this discussion period. This has the makings for one of our best book discussions yet.
RaulRamos

Unread post

I haven't received the book yet! : -->:">

Return to “Interventions - by Noam Chomsky”