• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Ch. 4 - How to make us human

#107: April - May 2012 (Non-Fiction)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Re: Ch. 4 - How to make us human

Unread post

In the beginning of Ch. 4, the authors say, "A child abandoned alone on a desert island...would not develop into a human person: a human mind cannot develop in isolation."

It would be interesting to read about the evidence on this -- I'm sure there are some documented cases that are at least close to isolation. Sort of a morbid curiosity.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Dexter wrote:In the beginning of Ch. 4, the authors say, "A child abandoned alone on a desert island...would not develop into a human person: a human mind cannot develop in isolation."

It would be interesting to read about the evidence on this -- I'm sure there are some documented cases that are at least close to isolation. Sort of a morbid curiosity.
"The Social Construction of Reality" hypothesizes this.

It was a slow but interesting read.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Dexter wrote:In the beginning of Ch. 4, the authors say, "A child abandoned alone on a desert island...would not develop into a human person: a human mind cannot develop in isolation."

Jared Diamond has theorized that two evolutionary developments allowed the modern human to outcompete other species of early hominids: longevity (so we could pass down more information to our young) and the ability to pronounce complex phonetics that would lead to the cultural development of language. Our very concept of reality is based on language. We use categories to define the parameters of our existence and categories are expressed linguistically as words. In this sense, language is reality. Without language we could not comprehend abstract ideas. We would be as primitive as our simian cousins.

There's the very interesting story of the Wild Boy of Aveyron, although this is obviously not evidence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_of_Aveyron
-Geo
Question everything
LevV

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental
Canada

Unread post

This is a very interesting subject. The name given to children who have not had any human contact from a very young age is feral children. Apparently, there have been over one hundred reported cases.
At the site below you will find a brief description of 10 interesting cases.

listverse.com/2008/03/07/10-modern-cases-of-feral-children/

After reading these accounts of young children being raised totally or partially by animals, it's easy enough to see how closely related we are to other species. Without that added layer of culture passed on to us from our parents and society, the behavioral gap narrows considerably.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Unread post

I started to watch this documentary of "Genie," who was isolated for most of her childhood

ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Great vid, Dexter. I was able to see the first 2 parts. Extremely fascinating
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

There's an interesting story of a chimp adopted by a human family to prove or disprove the chimp's language capability. Linguist Noam Chomsky had said that chimpanzees are fundamentally incapable of language and with this rather unorthodox and unscientific study seems to have proven him right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nim_Chimpsky

Humans are not only wired for language, we are much more capable of empathy. And we are much more prone to mimicry than chimps which is we so readily absorb whatever language and other customs from our culture.
-Geo
Question everything
heledd
Doctorate

Unread post

Again very sorry for my enforced absence, Net and electric been very poor, Was quite shocked by his statement in this chapter that 'it is clearly no coincidence that nine months is frequently the point at which parents start commenting on how their baby is developing a personallity' He quotes no sources for this, and personally I believe babies have personalities of their own at the time of birth. My daughter who recently had twins says she knew which was the calm one and which the restless one even before they were born,
Life's a glitch and then you die - The Simpsons
LevV

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental
Canada

Unread post

I agree with you that babies will show aspects of their personality from the first few days after birth (if not sooner as you suggest). A friend of mine had twins four months ago and even though I have only seen them on video clips so far, it is clear that each has a distinct personality and that that personality is different from the other.
Although the authors use the word ‘personality’ in that sentence, I think they may be referring to a higher level of human connection. This sentence in the same paragraph is talking about something more than personality: “What parents are picking up on here is their infant’s increased responsiveness to them and its ability to connect with them through shared attention”.

Most of my knowledge of early childhood development begins from the development of language in the child, so I had a few gaps filled with their descriptions of ‘the nine month revolution’, ‘joint attention, and ‘shared joint attention’.

Return to “Evolutionary Psychology - by Robin Dunbar, Louise Barrett, John Lycett”