• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 709 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:09 am

Ch. 10 - Morality and Religion

#29: July - Sept. 2006 (Non-Fiction)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Ch. 10 - Morality and Religion

Unread post

Ch. 10 - Morality and ReligionYou can post about Chapter 10 in this thread or create your own threads. The choice is yours.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Re: Ch. 10 - Morality and Religion

Unread post

I really like this chapter. And I see plenty of questions posed by Dennett. I refer to the comment Mad made about Dennett not posing any questions in another thread.There is much in the way of a challenge in this chapter, but that is only a bad thing to those who are already on the defensive regarding athiests and those who attempt to examine their faith on a rational basis.I think this was a very good book...but I accept the premises Dennett offers.Mr. P. Mr. P's place. I warned you!!!The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
JulianTheApostate
Masters

Not so impressed

Unread post

I'm back, after putting the book aside for a month. Anyway, the morality chapter didn't impress me, though I agree with its main conclusions. And I did like Steven Weinberg's quote at the start of the chapter.Dennett didn't address some of the issues that I thought would turn up in this chapter: religion providing guidance about right & wrong, people finding strength & purpose from religion, etc. While Dennett is entitled to discuss whatever he wants, his topic choices threw me off.I didn't care for his argument on page 295 that ...anybody who professed that a particular point of moral conviction is not discussable, not debatable, not negotiatable, simply because it is the word of God...should be seen to be making it impossible for the rest of us to take their views seriously...In my mind, all moral beliefs are based on something fundamental that a person believes at a visceral level. For example, I believe the murder is immoral, while a safety net that ensures that everyone's physical needs are met is moral. Since I can't justify those beliefs objectively, why should a theist have to justify their moral beliefs stemming from religion?

Return to “Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon - by Daniel Dennett”