• In total there are 7 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

The New Naysayers - (I add) And none too soon!

#29: July - Sept. 2006 (Non-Fiction)
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

The New Naysayers - (I add) And none too soon!

Unread post

Quote:The New Naysayers In the midst of religious revival, three scholars argue that atheism is smarter.By Jerry AdlerNewsweekSept. 11, 2006 issue - Americans answered the atrocities of September 11, overwhelmingly, with faith. Attacked in the name of God, they turned to God for comfort; in the week after the attacks, nearly 70 percent said they were praying more than usual. Confronted by a hatred that seemed inexplicable, Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson proclaimed that God was mad at America because it harbored feminists, gays and civil libertarians. Sam Harris, then a 34-year-old graduate student in neuroscience, had a different reaction. On Sept. 12, he began a book. If, he reasoned, young men were slaughtering people in the name of religion
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Re: The New Naysayers - (I add) And none too soon!

Unread post

Of course, the author of the article is not a fan of these three "Naysayers"...he is a sheep, it seems, like the rest.Quote:Evolution isn't necessarily incompatible with faith, even with evangelical Christianity. Several new books
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Re: The New Naysayers - (I add) And none too soon!

Unread post

Now that I think about it...maybe this would be better as a separate thread in the Dennett forum?Chris, Tara...could you move this there?Mr. P. Mr. P's place. I warned you!!!The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper

Return to “Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon - by Daniel Dennett”