• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Lost Memory of Skin, Prt 2, chapters; 8-10

#104: Jan. - Feb. 2012 (Fiction)
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Lost Memory of Skin, Prt 2, chapters; 8-10

Unread post

LOST MEMORY OF SKIN

Russell Banks

Part two, chapters; eight, nine and ten
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Re: Lost Memory of Skin, Prt 2, chapters; 8-10

Unread post

By the end of Part II, I think we see a theme developing in the Lost Memory of Skin where Banks is proposing that personal powerlessness is a factor in the psychology of sex offenders, perhaps the key factor. The Kid is obviously a powerless person, partly because of his upbringing and socio-economic circumstances but mostly because of his conviction as a sex offender, hence his pariah status in society. So, if powerlessness is a key cause of sex offenses then Banks may be proposing that societies way of dealing with it both legally and in day to day life just leads to even greater probability of further sex offences (recividism) because we disempower offenders even more by treating them as pariahs and ensuring their daily lives are hell, like having to live 2500 feet from anywhere children might be. The Professor is engaging in an experiment of organizing the sex offenders under the Causeway, which is really an experiment in empowerment, but it will be interesting to see how this works out .. I suspect it will fail due to the Professors own demons but we'll see.
realiz

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Amazingly Intelligent

Unread post

it will be interesting to see how this works out .. I suspect it will fail due to the Professors own demons but we'll see.
I agree that it will probably fail, as the Professor is trying to find a simple solution to a very complex problem and he is seeing all 'sex offenders' as being similar in intent and practice, which I believe is far from the truth. It could be that his experiment might help the Kid personally. I guess we'll see. I'm going to take a little break from reading this book as I'm traveling for the next week.
lindad_amato
Intelligent

R. e: Lost Memory of Skin, Prt 2, chapters; 8-10

Unread post

I'm still not convinced that the Prof is trying to find a solution to the sex offender problem. I see him more as an observer. He does manipulate the environment under the bridge a bit, but only for his own studies.
In chapter Eight we see the Kid actually developing a higher level of interest in his fellow humans. It will be interesting to see if this develops further and if he can reach the point of having a mature relationship with someone.
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

If the Kids story in Ch. 10 is true, has your impression of him changed?
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

lindad_amato wrote:If the Kids story in Ch. 10 is true, has your impression of him changed?
Linda: I think you mean Chapter 10 in Part 3 not Part 2? If so, I would say, yes, my impression changed somewhat but also that the veracity of the Kid's story and the Professor's story is suspect, I think, but we'll see .. I will comment on that later when we are discussing part 3.
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

Sorry about that. I'm still getting used to moving around in my Kindle.
WildCityWoman
Genius

Unread post

So are we indeed talking about Part 2, Chapter 8?

Here's what I saw there - the parole officer and the professor show up ... the professor first to find that mist which has been created to film the naked children.

Ummmm hmmmm ... the the parole officer shows up - what a time for her to show up. And she orders the kid to get off that island - back to the causeway, she doesn't care, just get outta there pronto.

I'm kinda glad she did though - that doesn't sound too healthy to me, what's going on at Denbow's place.

Too funny when the kid and the professor took off with the dog and the parrot.
WildCityWoman
Genius

Unread post

Part II - Ch 10

The professor sounds like he's guilty of nothing more than idealism.

So far, the kid sounds like he's guilty of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

But I'm sure there's more to know about both of them.
Tigerlily22
Master Debater

Unread post

While there may be some validity to some of the professors views, he may be a bit of an idealist. He feels he can "cure" Kid and I just am not sure that is possible. While there may be some societal factors at play would the power obtained from sexual control of a helpless child be too much for a sex offender? I can only speculate, but it seems that control over children, individuals with certain disabilities, and others who may be unable to easily advocate for themselves would be easy to manipulate and victimize. This is probably a major factor in the probation officer wanting him out of there so quickly. The professor sees Kid as "lost in fantasy". Does his possible idealism make this comment relevant to him as well?

It is throwing up a HUGE red flag that Kid sees the children as beautiful, angelic children who are engaged in an erotic dance. He sees the dead eyes the children have and is not at all slightly concerned about this. The professor also mentions that the dance has an erotic tone making me wonder if I shouldn't also be concerned about his intentions. Is his view of the dance concerning like Kid's or not?

The Kid seems to start doubting the professor at the end of this part. He is doubtful of the organizing of the colony and also seems to be wary of getting the map. Seeing as how the map is from Treasure Island, I think the professor is showing his need for power over someone younger than him. He feels Kid is naive and seems to be using this for his social experiment.

Return to “Lost Memory of Skin: A Novel - by Russell Banks”