• In total there are 9 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 9 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

The New Commandments - (Page 414 of Arguably)

#100: Oct. - Nov. 2011 (Non-Fiction)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Please join us in reading and discussing Arguably: Essays by Christopher Hitchens!

Arguably is a collection of essays by Christopher Hitchens. Each thread in this book discussion forum is named after the title of one of the essays in Arguably. The page number where the essay starts is included in the thread title to make finding it within the book easy.

Read all of the essays in order or jump around and read only the essays that interest you. Please keep your comments in the appropriate threads.
Please consider supporting BookTalk.org by donating today!
kfk4life
Official Newbie!

Re: The New Commandments - (Page 414 of Arguably)

Unread post

VANITY FAIR: Christopher Hitchens's Ten Commandments
This is a video that goes hand in hand with the essay.

In his review of the traditional Ten Commandments, I believe he does a fine job of pointing out relevant criticisms, and granting the wisdom when necessary. (Although I wish he had not tried to make the argument that the tenth tried to call women "property," as I think that argument is weak.)

As for the "commandments" he gives at the end, I find them to be well thought out, and I personally love the humor when he says,
Turn off that fucking cell phone—you have no idea how unimportant your call is to us.
All in all, I think he did a fine job of making the point that many others have tried to make, with slightly less success.
dean3333

Re: The New Commandments - (Page 414 of Arguably)

Unread post

Hitch exposed that credulity of religious dogma when he penned this essay. The antecedent of the Ten Commandments is the Babylonian Code of Hammurabi which was a doctrine of social behavior and order that the Hebrews peculated. Religious apologists offer the piffling notion that without religion or commandments, people would be screwing in the streets (to quote Hitch) and that society would cease functioning morally. It does not occur to them that man has been surviving in tribes and communities for thousands of years (without commandments from God) because they realized that disparate behavior led to higher incidents of starvation, death, and social disorder. Quite simply, we require cooperative decorum for the survival of our species.

Return to “Arguably: Essays by Christopher Hitchens - by Christopher Hitchens”