• In total there are 9 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 9 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Christ In Egypt: The Star in the East and Three Kings

#98: Aug. - Sept. 2011 (Non-Fiction)
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Christ In Egypt: The Star in the East and Three Kings

Unread post

Further to comments at the thread on 'Born on 25 December', this theme of the three kings is utterly astral. Murdock explains the link of the three kings to the constellation of Orion, whose belt has three stars that point to the brightest star in the sky, Sirius, as it rises in the east. The centrality of Sirius to Egyptian religion is seen in their annual ceremony of watching for the first day Sirius is visible before dawn, a day close to the time in summer when the Nile River starts to rise, marking the birth of the new year in agriculture.

Efforts to link the star with other astronomical events get as lost as the three wise men supposedly did when they called in on Herod on the way to see Christ. It is an astral myth, and the explanation is simple. The only reason people cannot see it is the power of blind faith in the traditional literal historical reading of the Gospels. Oh, and the fact that most people discussing this live to far north to see Argo, which is central to the astral myth.
Vishnu
Intern

Re: Christ In Egypt: The Star in the East and Three Kings

Unread post

As usual, the mythicist sees the physical system and thinks, "ah", this explains everything!
"Everything"... *rereads Robert's post* uhhh... huh?

But as far as the 3 magi & Jesus representing Orion's belt & Sirius, I don't see why that's anything to harp on... that's just parsimony, Occam's razor. That's all that's apparent, and makes the least amount of assumptions. Sure, I guess there could be some type of spiritual link to it, but there doesn't seem to be anything in the motif to urge one to conjecture that much. I mean, which makes the least amount of assumptions-
3 magi=3 stars,
or
3 magi=3 stars + some spiritual factor with no corresponding representation in Orion's belt?

Let me say that I haven't been following this whole exchange much, so I apologize in advance if you have responded to this already.
Last edited by Vishnu on Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Christ in Egypt: The Horus-Jesus Connection - by D.M. Murdock”