• In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Christ In Egypt: Introductory Remarks

#98: Aug. - Sept. 2011 (Non-Fiction)
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Christ In Egypt: Introductory Remarks

Unread post

Booktalk.org has selected Christ in Egypt by D.M. Murdock as its non-fiction book discussion selection for August and September 2011.

To purchase the book directly from D.M. Murdock, visit http://stellarhousepublishing.com/christinegypt.html
This site also has the full table of contents, and a link to the preface and selected chapters for free on line. The Preface is quoted below.

Christ in Egypt can be purchased via Amazon.com at http://www.amazon.com/Christ-Egypt-Horu ... 0979963117
This site has 34 customer reviews, averaging 4.5 stars.

The discussion on the selection for this book raised some debate. It is a highly controversial book, providing an excellent introduction to some of the main mythological themes in Christianity. The thesis of the book is that Jesus Christ did not exist but was invented to continue Egyptian and other older religious traditions in the common era. This thesis completely undermines conventional Christian dogma. It presents major questions for history, politics, psychology, philosophy and theology. I hope this discussion on Booktalk.org will delve into some of these implications.

D.M. Murdock has said she will participate in this discussion. This is very welcome, and presents readers with a great opportunity to discuss the book directly with the author.

Readers may wish to comment on the structure of the discussion. We expect to establish threads for each chapter, but could also have thematic threads. All members are welcome to start threads.
D.M. Murdock wrote:Preface to Christ in Egypt

by D.M. Murdock/Acharya S

"So there grew, during those first centuries of Christianity, a whole literature of the Hermetic sort in which the symbols, interpreted in the orthodox Christian tradition as historical, were being read in a proper mythological sense. And these then began to link the Christian myth to pagan analogues. The Gnostics, for instance, were in that boat. But the orthodox Christians insisted on the historicity of all these events."
Joseph Campbell, An Open Life

Over a century ago, renowned British Egyptologist Sir Dr. E.A. Wallis Budge (1857-1934), a Keeper of the Egyptian and Assyrian Antiquities at the British Museum, as well as a confessed Christian, remarked that a study tracing the "influence of ancient Egyptian religious beliefs and mythology on Christianity" would "fill a comparatively large volume." Since Dr. Budge's time, for a variety of reasons, including the seemingly irreconcilable academic gap between historians and theologians, no one has taken up the call to produce such a volume—until now.

This book is the result of decades of study of the world's religions and mythologies, focusing on comparative religion with the intention of showing from where Christianity in particular likely devised many of its most cherished beliefs. My previous books on the subjects of comparative religion, mythology and Christian origins include: The Christ Conspiracy: The Greatest Story Ever Sold; Suns of God: Krishna, Buddha and Christ Unveiled; and Who Was Jesus? Fingerprints of The Christ. I continue this ongoing investigation with the fascinating land of the pharaohs not only because that nation was extremely influential around the world into which Christianity was born, but also because it possesses so much material preserved from the centuries of destruction—much of it quite deliberate—that it is to Egypt we may look for solid, primary-source proof of our premise.

It should be noted, however, that I did not originally set out to prove a thesis established a priori but that, having been engaged in this field for so many years and, having been raised a Christian and knowing that faith very well, I have been struck over the decades by the profound and germane resemblances between it and pre-Christian and non-Christian religions, and it has become clear that Egypt was the fount of much of this religious and spiritual knowledge.

In this groundbreaking effort, I have used the latest and best technology to search far and wide through a massive amount of material across several languages, beginning with the ancient primary sources and extending into the modern era. In order to demonstrate a solid case, I have been compelled to do extensive and exhaustive research in the pertinent ancient languages, such as Egyptian, Hebrew, Greek, Latin and Coptic, while I have also utilized authorities in modern languages such as German and French.

Not only have I provided much important and interesting information directly addressing the striking comparisons between the Egyptian and Christian religions, but also I have exposed on several occasions various biases, censorship and other behaviors that have impacted mainstream knowledge over the centuries, allowing for certain revelations to come to light in English here possibly for the first time in history.

In order to set the stage for the various premises of each chapter, I have included quotations at the beginnings thereof, at times both modern and ancient. After thus providing a summary of the premise, in each chapter I delve into the relevant primary sources to whatever extent possible. In my analysis of the ancient Egyptian texts, I consulted and cross-referenced as many translations as I could find, and I attempted to defer to the most modern renditions as often as possible. All of this work was accomplished as truly independent scholarship, without funding from any group, organization or institution, as has been the case with all of my past endeavors as well.

The result is that Christ in Egypt: The Horus-Jesus Connection comprises some 600 pages with almost 2,400 footnotes and citations from more than 900 books, journals and assorted other sources from experts in germane fields of study from different time periods beginning in antiquity up to the most modern Egyptologists, in order to create a consensus of opinion since the topic is so contentious. In this regard, brief biographical material is also included for many of these authorities, so that readers may be assured of the individual's credentials. The broad scope of these sources dating from thousands of years ago to the most modern research means there can be no dismissive argument based on either a lack of primary sources or because the authorities cited are "outdated."

Yet, for all this erudition, I have hopefully succeeded in making Christ in Egypt as readily accessible to the average reader as possible, so that the book can be enjoyed by all who wish to know the hidden history of the origins of religious ideology. Some of the material may strike some readers as difficult and/or tedious, but I hope it will be understood that, in consideration of the controversial nature of this issue, it was necessary to be as thorough as possible. This book is therefore not meant to be a "quick read." Rather, it is intended as a reference book providing knowledge for years to come.

In comparison to other literature on the subject, the present book might be considered the most complete and scientific study of the Egyptian influence on Christianity ever produced in English. Each major contention and many minor ones have been carefully cited with an eye to as exacting accuracy as is possible, and every effort has been made to doublecheck particularly controversial facts. My intent has always been to restore the proper milieu of the eras in question, resurrecting cultures that have been the object of disinformation and disdain. In creating this opus, I experienced great delight at a number of significant germane features that came to light, and I offer this unusual but intriguing research in the spirit in which it was intended: To wit, to demonstrate that mankind's most cherished and fervently held religious beliefs are rooted firmly in human creation based on natural phenomena, without the need for supernatural genesis but nonetheless extraordinarily marvelous and meaningful.

D.M. Murdock
aka Acharya S
January 2009
AlSylvester
Permanent Ink Finger

Re: Christ In Egypt: Introductory Remarks

Unread post

Everything you say is True. And I know how much work is tied to those things you say. However, there is one problem. What is the Myth based on. "Jesus went to Egypt and learned the Magic of Egypt." I have spent many years also and know what this magic is about. It is the basis for religion, actually many things. This magic has never been explained yet it is everywhere and spoken of by many of our most famous personages of the past, always in a Secretive Fashion. We know them as alchemists. The alchemy of the past is the Magic of Egypt. Jesus knew this Magic. A 'Myth" could not or would not know and speak of this magic as Jesus did! Jesus was also a Pagan, the Magic proves that! Jesus was a man, that "burnt his bread" as was said, and so was killed. It is true that all he spoke is tied to the same myth, but the base of that myth has never been explained. Osirs before Jesus was also tied to this Myth! Myself from G. Masseys books, I believe that in the distant past, this was a world wide religion. Parts, bits and pieces are everywhere. Knowing it can and should change everything. Even Sir W. Budge said in the intro to "Cleopatras Needles," "all of this must have been based on something." But he believed it was lost as to the long history and changes in Egypt. Al
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Unread post

Hey Al, you'll have to read along to see what direction the author has taken. It probably isn't what you expect judging by the title. There's a bit of a twist involved...

As stated, this book focuses on the correspondences between the Egyptian religion and Christianity, especially as concerns Horus and Jesus. The chapter titles are:

Introduction
Horus, Sun of God
Horus versus Set
Born on December 25th
The Virgin Isis-Mary
The Star in the East and Three Kings
Horus at the Ages of 12 and 30
"Anup the Baptizer"
The Twelve Followers
Performing Miracles, Walking on Water, Healing the Sick and Raising the Dead
"The Truth, the Light and the Good Shepherd"
Was Horus "Crucified?"
Burial for Three Days, Resurrection and Ascension
The Alexandrian Roots of Christianity
Conclusion
Bibliography
Index
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

AlSylvester wrote: "Jesus went to Egypt and learned the Magic of Egypt."
Hi Al, welcome to Booktalk. Your post here illustrates the need for some ground rules about this discussion. My view on this is as follows, and others are welcome to comment.

When we discuss a book, the discussion should try to stick to that book. In this case, discussing ancient Egypt, we obviously have the risk of discussion being hijacked by numerous related esoteric theories such as yours. We really don't want the threads to be spammed up by people who push their pet theories without directly relating them to the book in question. So I would encourage you to get a copy of Christ in Egypt and look to see how Murdock discusses topics that are of interest to you. That is entirely welcome. But just telling us that you have an alternative theory is not really an appropriate input in this thread, unless you relate it directly to the book under discussion.

The problem with alchemy, as I see it, is that like traditional religion it is built more on imagination than observation. That is why alchemy has been replaced by chemistry. There is no evidence for anything supernatural or miraculous, and the burden of proof for proponents of such ridiculous ideas faces extreme skepticism, with all science arguing against it, and only their personal imagination as support. Yes, there is a lot of valid scholarship in relation to alchemy and symbolism, such as some of the work of Carl Jung, but there is no evidence for magical claims such as turning lead into gold. If you want to argue about this, please start a new thread, maybe in the science and technology forum, and link it to your introduction thread.

Murdock presents a scientific evidence-based analysis. Her critics try to associate her with unscientific claims, but my reading of the debate is that the critics are generally just trying to hide their own unscientific beliefs that are demolished by the Christ Myth Theory.
AlSylvester
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Hi Robert, Just so you can think about your remarks. I have spent now 40 years learning alchemy It is not what the world has thought it was, it is the basis for the Egyptian Religion. I can prove everything I might say or I wouldn't say it. Check out who the real alchemists of the past were and consider that just perhaps it is not what you think it is. You, like almost everyone else has no idea of the past or what it was about. Jesus knew it, so did the Secret Societies. I know it now. You just might be surprised. Im new here, but want no problems. Everything I said is True, and it is not a pet Theory, also, Mr. Jung was wrong and he neither knew alchemy! For your consideration, Al
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

AlSylvester wrote:Hi Robert, Just so you can think about your remarks. I have spent now 40 years learning alchemy It is not what the world has thought it was, it is the basis for the Egyptian Religion. I can prove everything I might say or I wouldn't say it. Check out who the real alchemists of the past were and consider that just perhaps it is not what you think it is. You, like almost everyone else has no idea of the past or what it was about. Jesus knew it, so did the Secret Societies. I know it now. You just might be surprised. Im new here, but want no problems. Everything I said is True, and it is not a pet Theory, also, Mr. Jung was wrong and he neither knew alchemy! For your consideration, Al
That is fine Al, and you are welcome to promote your ideas, but make sure you do it in the right spot, eg one of the general discussion forums. There was obviously a lot of magical belief in ancient Egypt, such as mentioned in the Emerald Tablets of Thoth, and there is the mystery of how they moved such large blocks of stone. But this thread is for Murdock's book.

You claim knowledge about Jesus, but there is no evidence that Jesus actually lived. There may well be alchemy in the Bible, but that does not prove Jesus Christ was a historical individual. It is much more likely that he was invented by the societies you mention as a symbolic figurehead. Check out what Murdock has to say about the Therapeuts in Alexandria.
spoonwood

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Master Debater

Unread post

I just ordered my copy from Amazon. Appears to be very... thorough. That I can recall, I've never read about or been exposed to a connection between the Christ myth and this Horus. Sounds intriguing!
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Unread post

Hey Al, this book isn't about the alchemy aspect of the Egyptian religion. It's just about the general Osiris, Isis, and Horus myths (among others) and how pre-existing motifs were made use of when Christianity was organizing itself. It was a process.

She takes a look at what was going on during the first century as far as written history can provide from that contemporary time period. Philo and the Therapuets are outlined in the book as Robert mentioned. No such figure as a trouble making Jesus Christ in Jerusalem was ever mentioned by Philo or any other historian who was writing in the region and contemporary to the supposed life, trial, and death of the gospel Jesus. People who were in, around, and writing about the goings on of Jersusalem are completely silent about any such thing happening historically - as is stated in the Jewish Encyclopedia. The Jewish record is entirely silent.

If you're unfamiliar with these facts then you should go ahead and get a copy of CiE and join us in discussion. You can quote from the book and cite the pages in question that you wish to inquire about it. And you can ask questions of the author as well because she'll be joining us all in discussion as time permits.
Last edited by tat tvam asi on Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lois
Master Debater

Unread post

I'm going to buy the book right now and I am looking forward to the discussion. I've heard some about these overlaps (Christ and Horus, for example) but it will be interesting to learn more!
AlSylvester
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Hi again all. As quickly as I can. what Alchemy is. I found a 16 month process with 8 steps. Those steps are now our religious holidays. The process is everything about Osiris and Horus and Isis. The process became the religion. In time it became Christianity. What was done in the steps was how it was Celebrated in Egypt. The Catholic church changed some of what and how it was Celebrated, but it is easy to see and understand. Now the process was a secret! To talk about meant death. Even the alchemists couldn't for same reason. Jesus knew this and talked about it and so was 'Hung on a Tree." My point. I know the information and can read alchemy. I know from what a man said if he was one. Jesus spoke of alchemy in many, well lets just say in most of the Gnostics. You, no one knows this information. I do, after many long and hard years. I will discuss it on the forums. I would never embarrass Acharya in any way. My point is that if you knew alchemy 'The ancient magic of Egypt" you would know the man Jesus knew it. It is why he was killed as said, "he burnt his bread." If you can understand, if he was just myth, the secret knowledge wouldn't be there. Yes, I agree 100% he was tied to all of it (the mythology) as was Osiris. But, what is important, what was the myth about. That is what I found. For your information I wrote, "The Alchemy Connection" in 1978. Thought it was about seeds, it was but the seed is an egg! I can and will explain 100 things to all of you that you never heard. The Virgin Birth, Baptism, Resurrection, Easter, Christmas, Original Sin everything "Originally" is from this process. Al

Return to “Christ in Egypt: The Horus-Jesus Connection - by D.M. Murdock”