• In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Ch. 10 - Grass: thirteen ways of looking at a pasture

#31: Oct. - Dec. 2006 (Non-Fiction)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Ch. 10 - Grass: thirteen ways of looking at a pasture

Unread post

This thread is for discussion of Chapter 10, Grass: thirteen ways of looking at a pasture.
Loricat
Laughs at Einstein

Re: Ch. 10 - Grass: thirteen ways of looking at a pasture

Unread post

I found this chapter highly idealistic. How many farmers actually think this way? Made me want to go back to the Earth, that's for sure. "All beings are the owners of their deeds, the heirs to their deeds." Loricat's Book NookCelebrating the Absurd
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

Is this the chapter that quotes Salatin as saying, "Why do we need a New York? What's it good for anyway?" That was eye-opening, to say the least.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Eye-opening? I thought it was just as ignorant as saying "Why do we need farms?" or the like. It is the interconnections that make everything work in the civilization we have.Mr. P. Mr. P's place. I warned you!!!Mr. P's Bookshelf.I'm not saying it's usual for people to do those things but I(with the permission of God) have raised a dog from the dead and healed many people from all sorts of ailments. - AsanaThe one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

Eye-opening in regard to Salatin's personal philosophy. It doesn't necessarily mean anything to me, but I wasn't expecting him to take such a hard line.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Oh I see. But that line was in perfect step with his philosophy I think. He is a nature and land guy through and through. I could guess his anti-city/industrial bent from the get go. Seems like a honest guy overall.If I am ever in VA again, I will have to look his farm up!Mr. P. Mr. P's place. I warned you!!!Mr. P's Bookshelf.I'm not saying it's usual for people to do those things but I(with the permission of God) have raised a dog from the dead and healed many people from all sorts of ailments. - AsanaThe one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper

Return to “The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals - by Michael Pollan”