• In total there are 7 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Crowley and Aziraphale's New Year's Resolutions

#86: June - Aug. 2010 (Fiction)
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Crowley and Aziraphale's New Year's Resolutions

Unread post

An essay by Neil Gaiman on the New Year's resolutions of the angel and demon from Good Omens.

Although I can't stop anyone from reading, I would advise that you not read this essay until you have either finished the book, or read a fair amount of the book to understand the actions of these characters and the humor of their resolutions, as well as to keep the suspense up so that you don't accidentally find out what happens at the end when you aren't even halfway done. If that kind of thing doesn't bother you, then read ahead whatever your current position in the book, but don't say I didn't warn you. I will also attach a spoiler alert directly below this paragraph.

***SPOILER ALERT***

Crowley and Aziraphale's New Year's resolutions
Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett present New Year's resolutions of the demon Crowley and the angelic Aziraphale — characters in their collaborative novel, Good Omens.

Crowley:
Resolution #1: I must accept that Super-Gluing valuable coins to the sidewalk and then watching events from a nearby café is not proper demonic activity.

Resolution #2: The same applies to rearranging the letters on wayside pulpits.

Resolution #3: Try to come up with something as good as cell phone ringtones, following one last stab at convincing Downstairs that cell phone ringtones are right up there in the whole Human Misery stakes. And iPods. Has anybody Down There even said thank you for iPods? Or "Googling yourself?" Frankly, I deserve some kind of award for "Googling yourself."

Resolution #4: I must encourage greedy people to use the term, "Low-hanging fruit," because that's just like old times.

Resolution #5: This year, I will get a desk near the window.

Resolution #6: I will try to understand why Hell is a no-smoking area. I just think it's ridiculous having to stand around outside the gates, that's all.

Resolution #7: On the orders of Head Office I will encourage the belief in Intelligent Design, because it upsets everyone.

Resolution #8: Stop Googling myself.

Aziraphale:

Resolution #1: Spread peace and love and glad tidings of great joy throughout the world. Also try to get out more.

Resolution #2: I will be charitable to people who use the term "core values," however difficult this may be.

Resolution #3: Notwithstanding Resolution #2 (above), I will redouble my efforts to have the utterance of the phrase "core values" classified as a deadly sin. I believe Himself is with me on this one.

Resolution #4: I will try to be nicer to the customers. They want to buy books; I want to sell them. It can't be that hard. (Memo to self: Regular opening hours? Mark prices on books?)

Resolution #5: I will try to be polite to Gabriel, no matter what the provocation.

Resolution #6: Find out exactly what an "Internet" is.

Resolution #7: Really must resume dancing lessons. Learn the "Galloping Major," the "Gay Gordons," the "Mashed Potatoes." Possibly even the "Twist"?

Resolution #8: Thwart Infernal Wiles (ongoing).

Resolution #9: I will try to understand why Heaven is a non-smoking area.

Resolution #10: On the orders of Head Office I will encourage the belief in Intelligent Design – despite the fact that the human airway crosses the digestive tract. Who thought that was intelligent?

Resolution #11: Feed the ducks.

Hysterical. :lol:

Here is the link to the Harper Collins website where this was first posted, which includes other interviews with Neil Gaiman, and some information and a video on Terry Pratchett.

Author Essay by Neil Gaiman on HarperCollins.com:
harpercollins.com/author/AuthorExtra.as ... horID=3417

Terry Pratchett on HarperCollins.com:
harpercollins.com/authors/7848/Terry_Pr ... index.aspx

Enjoy. :)
gabypmatias
Official Newbie!

Re: Crowley and Aziraphale's New Year's Resolutions

Unread post

Oh my! This is hilarious! I loved reading Good Omens, and I've been lending my book ever since to anyone who asks (and it's not hard, you just have to talk about books to get this reference!). I just loved these two characters, their "humanity", and the little details the authors though of that made them so real for the readers!

Return to “Good Omens - by Neil Gaiman”