• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

A Proposition For My Absent Good Omens Readers

#86: June - Aug. 2010 (Fiction)
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

A Proposition For My Absent Good Omens Readers

Unread post

Come on, guys, don't give up on discussing Good Omens just yet! We haven't even discussed the title character, one Agnes Nutter, or her descendant, Anathema Device! We have yet to talk about Newton Pulsifer, the last Witchfinder Private, or his Sergeant, the insane but lovable Shadwell, and his landlady, the sometimes medium, sometimes Jezebel, Madame Tracy!

I've got an idea in mind, a proposition, if you will, to change things up a bit and make this discussion more interesting.

How about a photographic literary scavenger hunt! I'll name certain objects/events from each chapter (starting at "Wednesday," since we've already discussed the first two chapters), and all of you readers can take photos of whatever you interpret these objects/events to be in the world around you, and post them here or link them to a Photobucket/Flickr/MySpace/Facebook account. What do you say to that? Any takers? Anyone adventurous enough to play with me (and Neil and Terry, too)?

Let me know who's in so we can do this thing! :mrgreen:
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Re: A Proposition For My Absent Good Omens Readers

Unread post

bleachededen wrote:Come on, guys, don't give up on discussing Good Omens just yet! We haven't even discussed the title character, one Agnes Nutter, or her descendant, Anathema Device! We have yet to talk about Newton Pulsifer, the last Witchfinder Private, or his Sergeant, the insane but lovable Shadwell, and his landlady, the sometimes medium, sometimes Jezebel, Madame Tracy!

I've got an idea in mind, a proposition, if you will, to change things up a bit and make this discussion more interesting.

How about a photographic literary scavenger hunt! I'll name certain objects/events from each chapter (starting at "Wednesday," since we've already discussed the first two chapters), and all of you readers can take photos of whatever you interpret these objects/events to be in the world around you, and post them here or link them to a Photobucket/Flickr/MySpace/Facebook account. What do you say to that? Any takers? Anyone adventurous enough to play with me (and Neil and Terry, too)?

Let me know who's in so we can do this thing! :mrgreen:
Agnes Nutter wrote the fictional story of the end of the world in Good Omens. And, secretly, arch warlock Alastair Crowley is the main character! God v Satan, via angels and demons, is an interesting topic to satirise by implying that anybody who reads this sort of stuff is nuts. It is a way to bracket religion, opening the Bible, as the core predictive text of the shape of history, to mockery and ridicule. I like Neil Gaiman, having read American Gods. I haven't previously read anything else by Terry Pratchett. I noticed on a web page some information about which of them wrote which bits of Good Omens, so it is interesting to listen for their voices in the interplay of the book.

I read about half of Good Omens and then accidentally put it aside. I got up to where Anathema Device accidentally gives the only copy of the book by her ancestor Ms Nutter to the creepy crawly dynamic duo from heaven and hell.
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

She makes do without it, but you'll get to that when you pick the book up again. ;)
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Seriously, where did everybody go? Is anyone still reading?
seespotrun2008

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Graduate Student

Unread post

:( I bought the book. I am still working through other books on the booktalk lists. :P I am a little obsessed about reading all of them but the ones I am really not interested in. Plus, I have a library full of books I am working on. Need more time in the day! :mrgreen:
sade201030
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

count me in.. i'll have to fine my old copy of good omens
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Yay! I don't care if we start back at the first chapter, I just want my discussion back! I can't discuss it with myself, that's just silly. Besides, I already did that the first time I read the book! :lol:

Welcome, all, the more the merrier! This book is seriously too much fun to miss! :)
Anderson
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

bleachededen wrote:Yay! I don't care if we start back at the first chapter, I just want my discussion back! I can't discuss it with myself, that's just silly. Besides, I already did that the first time I read the book! :lol:

Welcome, all, the more the merrier! This book is seriously too much fun to miss! :)
Okay, good, my copy just arrived in the mail. I'll start reading and post my first impressions.

Return to “Good Omens - by Neil Gaiman”