• In total there are 7 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Book 2, Ch. 4 - Prostitute of the Mind

#84: June - Aug. 2010 (Fiction)
Theomanic

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Book 2, Ch. 4 - Prostitute of the Mind

Unread post

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle
Haruki Murakami

Book 2, Chapter 4
Divine Grace Lost / Prostitute of the Mind
"Beware those who are always reading books" - The Genius of the Crowd, by Charles Bukowski
Theomanic

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Re: Book 2, Ch. 4 - Prostitute of the Mind

Unread post

In Lt. Mamiya's letter he describes not being able to find or make contact with the image in the light as being worse than the hunger and thirst he experiences after two days in that dry well. The idea that not being able to fully be one with ones own consciousness as the ultimate suffering in intriguing to me. The quest for self-knowledge permeates this novel, and this is yet another example of it.

After as Toru ponders his life, he realizes he has done nothing meaningful. I wonder, what is meaningful? I don't know, and I don't think Toru knows exactly either.

Again, we have our narrator holding someone - someone who isn't his wife. I feel like these events are entirely lacking in sexual overtones. It seems like the women, first his workmate and now Creta Kano, have a need for physical contact because they are so isolated. In this story, it seems everyone is isolated. I do not know if I am expressing myself clearly but hopefully you know what I mean!

Any thoughts?
"Beware those who are always reading books" - The Genius of the Crowd, by Charles Bukowski
WildCityWoman
Genius

Re: Book 2, Ch. 4 - Prostitute of the Mind

Unread post

I think a lot of people have this feeling of having done nothing really important with their lives.

Maybe this is especially important for Toru in his culture.

About the isolation . . . I don't really get any sense of 'depth' in these people that become connected with Toru, if that's what you mean.

The sex seems like something outlined on the back of a generic package - his descriptions sound like he copied them from something else.

The only really good sexual part is when he goes to that lady's office, the young man puts those goggles on him, and he ejaculates in his pants.

That was really 'interesting'.

Return to “The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle: A Novel - by Haruki Murakami”