• In total there are 9 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 9 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Atheist Universe Excerpt

#32: Oct. - Dec. 2006 (Non-Fiction)
David Mills

Atheist Universe Excerpt

Unread post

I was honored when I learned that my book, Atheist Universe, had been nominated by booktalk.org as freethinker reading material for the 4th quarter of 2006. Thank you!For those who would like to read an extended excerpt of the book, you may freely download a PDF at DavidMills.Net This PDF showcases the book's entire introduction and index, and runs about 20 pages.This same website also makes available for free download the Atheist Universe Audio Book. There are no logins, passwords, pop-ups or sales pitches on the website. Enjoy!David Mills
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Re: Atheist Universe Excerpt

Unread post

I will definitely give this a look.Thank you!
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

DavidWelcome to the BookTalk community! I am thoroughly enjoying Atheist Universe and have recommended it to many of my friends and family members. I'm loving the "Interview with an Atheist" chapter. A few nights ago I kept my fiance awake as I read that chapter to her out loud. Wow! Good stuff! But that isn't an actual interview is it?? You're more or less recreating what we atheists go through in a typical discussion with a theist....right?Pg. 23 was awesome. Quote:You may disagree with my message; but you, as the reader, shouldn't have to struggle to discern what that message is.You are truly a gifted writer who doesn't waste words. I agree that many authors seem to think they're paid a penny a word. In the end they've said very little. Several of our past selections fall into that category, unfortunately. Chris Edited by: Chris OConnor  at: 9/29/06 10:57 pm
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

I just read the excerpt, now I have to go shell out some cash for a new book! I like what I saw so far.Thanks again.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

If you're looking for a book that addresses every single aspect of the faith vs. reason debate you need to get this book. Another excellent read is George Smith's "Atheism: The Case Against God," but for readability and clarity I'd go with Atheist Universe. I actually have a few problems with how Smith defines some important terms, but I am forgetting now what exactly those problems were. It was about 5 years ago that I read Smith's book. But it is still essential reading.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

David, welcome to booktalk! I will check out that excerpt and when my budget allows will indeed purchase your book. Right now, I have to settle for borrowing from the library!Hope you decide to pop in every so often and share some thoughts with us. when your book does get selected for a quarterly reading, we would love to have you come chat wih us about it!Be Well,Mr. P. Edited by: Chris OConnor  at: 9/30/06 10:00 am
David Mills

Unread post

To Chris, Frank & Mr. P, Thank you all for your exceptionally generous comments. I really feel at home here! I became aware of the booktalk website by seeing the link on The Infidel Guy. Chris, you're absolutely right that the MP3 audiobook on my own site is a scripted recording rather than a live interview -- in fact, it's perhaps a little too scripted. I actually had a professional New York actor kindly offer to record the material for free, and I foolishly declined his thoughtful offer, believing that I, the author, could perform the material more genuinely. This was a mistake. Personally, I much prefer the printed book to the very much abridged audiobook. The audiobook is based on a chapter in the book called "Interview with an Atheist," which is itself a compilation of interviews. Lower on the same webpage, however, there are about five or six actual radio shows for download as well. I'm excited about having discovered booktalk, and I'll surely visit at every possible opportunity. David
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

DavidActually, I hadn't listened to the audio interview, but will do so when I get back from my mini-vacation. I just got the email notice that you made a generous financial donation to BookTalk and I am shocked and grateful. We get very few donations so it really means a lot when we do. And to be supported by a great author such as yourself is extremely flattering. Thank you so much David.Chris
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

DavidThank you for the donation! It is truly an honor to have the support of someone of your status in the community. Even if that status gets you labeled "a spokesman for Satan" or a "disgrace to human dignity".In my opinion your gracious gesture just squashed any negative label. Thanks again.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

If you happen to run across this site again David, me and a majority of my friends all listen to audiobooks. The number is growing. I'm in my truck all day long with business, and between cell phone calls, I listen to audio books. That's all I listen to, fiction as well as nonfiction. Any topic on Atheism is nonfiction BTW.

Return to “Evolution vs. Creationism: An Introduction - by Eugenie Scott”