• In total there are 8 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 8 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Camacho's Wedding

#82: April - May 2010 (Fiction)
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Camacho's Wedding

Unread post

http://cervantes.thefreelibrary.com/Don-Quixote/75-1 book 2 Chapter 20 tells the story of rich Camacho's wedding.
Grossman page 582

At the wedding of rich Camacho and fair Quiteria, Sancho Panza is fed by a cook who gives him three chickens and two geese in a pot. The drink and spice are measured by the arroba.

The eight nymph dancers are led by Love and Interest. On the side of Love are Poetry, Discretion, Good Lineage and Valor, and on the side of Interest are Liberality, Gifts, Treasure and Peaceful Ownership.

The Song of Love is "I am the mighty God whose sway Is potent over land and sea. The heavens above us own me; nay, The shades below acknowledge me. I know not fear, I have my will, Whate'er my whim or fancy be; For me there's no impossible, I order, bind, forbid, set free."

The Statement of Interest is "But mightier than Love am I, Though Love it be that leads me on, Than mine no lineage is more high, Or older, underneath the sun. To use me rightly few know how, To act without me fewer still, For I am Interest, and I vow For evermore to do thy will."

Poetry says "With many a fanciful conceit, Fair Lady, winsome Poesy Her soul, an offering at thy feet, Presents in sonnets unto thee. If thou my homage wilt not scorn, Thy fortune, watched by envious eyes, On wings of poesy upborne Shall be exalted to the skies." (Grossman (p588) gives "In conceits most sweet and high, noble, solemn, and discreet, gentle Poetry, my lady, sends her soul to you in lines found in a thousand new sonnets. If my pleas and constant prayers do not weary you, your fortune, envied by so many damsels, will be raised on high by me, to the Circle of the Moon."

From Liberality: "To give, while shunning each extreme, The sparing hand, the over-free, Therein consists, so wise men deem, The virtue Liberality. But thee, fair lady, to enrich, Myself a prodigal I'll prove, A vice not wholly shameful, which May find its fair excuse in love."

As for Camacho himself...
Last edited by Robert Tulip on Thu May 06, 2010 12:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Don Quixote - Translated by Edith Grossman”