• In total there are 8 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 8 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

11. In Living Stereo: Why We Have Two Ears

#81: April - May 2010 (Non-Fiction)
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

11. In Living Stereo: Why We Have Two Ears

Unread post

Chapter 11.
In Living Stereo: Why We Have Two Ears
Kalato
Getting Comfortable

Re: 11. In Living Stereo: Why We Have Two Ears

Unread post

I am almost done with the second section of the book and I am glad that the second section is more interesting than the first of Tales of Woe of Music and the Brain.

In the Chapter on Things Fall Apart: Amusia and Dysharmonia I found myself googling anatomy of the brain to try to follow Sack’s descriptions of some of the more arcane areas of the brain. It would have been convenient had he included a brain map specific to his examples. But that would have made the book more expensive, I guess.

Then the chapter In Living Stereo: Why We Have Two Ears really spoke to me, because I know what it is like to not have stereo vision due to poor eyesight on the right eye as well as difficulty with directional hearing due to a perforated eardrum in the right ear. Both since early childhood or birth.

I must say I was never really aware of any handicaps until much later in life. Decades later in fact. I had worked as an engineer at a company and left and came back a few years later. Part of the rehiring process included a vision test. I thought that was odd, since that had never been an issue before. So I took one and I learned that I did not have stereo vision, could not superimpose in my brain a picture my left eye saw and another picture my right eye saw. I was not to be rehired, until it became clear, that although I was a woman, I was not applying for a line job rather an engineering job. I thought it was rather comical, yet surprised about what I learned about my vision. I know I had a lazy eye since birth and the appropriate exercises were not performed at the appropriate age when this could be corrected. No glasses with red and green lenses for me.

This brings me to driving, I do just fine, after decades I havent’ injured or killed anyone and I am still here myself. Last time I had to take a vision test at the DMV the clerk became apoplectic because there are things I could not see. But her manager renewed my license. I shudder to think what will happen next time I have to take a vision test at the DMV. Lets hope the clerk and the manager are enlightened enough. The only thing I would warn people about is watch out when I back up a horse trailer. I even went to truck driving school twice, but backing up a trailer will always be a challenge. I also wonder why it is easier for me to back up looking over my shoulder. The minute I have to use mirrors the world turns more flat.

The hearing is not a problem, except I have difficulty figuring out what direction a sound is coming from, this is more a problem out doors. Which hill is the cow hollering from? Oh, her calf’s head is stuck in the fork of a tree. What will they think of next. I did have eardrum replacement surgery twice. But if you sit on my right side don’t whisper in my ear and loud whispering doesn’t help any either. It just annoys the people around me.

These are my tales of woe.

The tales in the second section have more anatomy and physiology and cause and origin along with the description of the symptoms and so make it more interesting reading for me. I don’t just have to keep being astounded at the plethora of musical suffering people had to endure.
GaryG48
Sophomore

Unread post

The tales in the second section have more anatomy and physiology and cause and origin along with the description of the symptoms and so make it more interesting reading for me. I don’t just have to keep being astounded at the plethora of musical suffering people had to endure.
My thoughts exactly.
--Gary

"Freedom is feeling easy in your harness" --Robert Frost
Veneer

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Experienced

Unread post

I agree as well the second section is more interesting with better descriptions. Good grief I thought I fell into a black hole reading the chapter on hallucinations. Sack covered every known victim on the planet. The book is moving far better now.
“Being Irish he had an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.” W. B. Yeats

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

"In answer to the question of why it happened, I offer the modest proposal that our Universe is simply one of those things which happen from time to time." Edward P. Tryon

Return to “Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain - by Oliver Sacks”