• In total there are 10 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 10 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

The Book Of Demons -update 2

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Rajesh
Wearing Out Library Card

The Book Of Demons -update 2

Unread post

According to Hindu mythology. there are 33 crore devas (gods).. (1 crore = 10 milllion)...
But still they are outnumbered by demons.. :)

There are rakshasas, asuras, bhutas, pishachas,pretas etc... etc....

The last para of the book goes like this
"Finally, the demons represent the alter ego. Asuras and devas are brothers. They represent two sides of a coin.They reside in the hearts and minds of people. hey can be defeated only if the person chooses to drive the demon away. The final message is that we can choose between good and evil. But we must remember that good must, and shall ultimately, win. Hindu tradition makes the choice easier."

I enjoyed reading this book. But most of the sentences are so lengthy that I had to read it more than once to understand..
Please keep it simple, my dear writers.. ;)
“Her blood is settled, and her joints are stiff;
Life and these lips have long been separated:
Death lies on her like an untimely frost
Upon the sweetest flower of all the field.”
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Re: The Book Of Demons -update 2

Unread post

Rajesh wrote:"Finally, the demons represent the alter ego. Asuras and devas are brothers. They represent two sides of a coin.They reside in the hearts and minds of people.
asuras and devas
cain and abel
devil and god
anti-christ and christ
mara and buddha
kamsa and krishna
set and horus
materialist and mystic
matter and consciousness
literalist and mythicist
night and day
me and me :lol:

yes this seems to be part of the perennial philosophy that you find everywhere around the worlds traditions contained in them symbolically, hidden there as metaphor.
Rajesh
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

What I don't understand is why they have made this so complicated..
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

Rajesh wrote:What I don't understand is why they have made this so complicated..
i suppose there are complicated systems of metaphors for when you want to dig right in and simpler more overarching metaphors for when you dont.

as you say some are outrageous in there complexity.

but like music whether it's beethoven, bebop or just a simple folk song it all has it's place and you can just pick what is appropriate to your day.

pick whatever works at any given time.

whatever tradition or system you favour will have to be transcended anyway as it is ultimately what the metaphor refers to not the metaphor itself that is the reason for the whole thing.

fundamentalists of all kinds have fallen victim to this, building a cubby house of dumbness around the metaphor (denotation) and all the while ignoring it's reference (connotation) (very sad state of affairs)

perhaps when the oldies were writing they never imagined future people being dumb enough to take it literally :lol:

and of course it suits manipulators to keep people fighting in a false paradigm so fear, ignorance and misdirection no doubt play their part as well, a manipulable dumbed down slave force ripe for the exploiting is always desirable to some.

cant have them seeing through the confusion and realising we are all in this together and that the real enemy is ignorance and that while we were foolishly hating someone for having a different metaphor for saying the same thing they were stealing all our fun not to mention our money.

i like all of it but even if there were no traditions in place i would just make one as metaphors and allegories and symbolism etc etc is such fun, people do it quite naturally every day, for example if they see someone who is doing something ineptly they might remark "he's not the sharpest tool in the shed" then someone else might extend the metaphor "no he's a real spanner that one" to me that is just another simpler version of the same process.
Ban me now
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

I'm going to pick up this book when my credit card payment goes through. Sounds interesting
"Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win.” Stephen King
Rajesh
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

Ban me now,

I suggest 2 more books I read recently..

Seven secrets of Hindu calender art
Seven secrets of Shiva

Return to “What are you currently reading?”