• In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Ch. 3 (III): How Passions Power The Evolutionary Search Engine

#77: Dec. - Jan. 2010 (Non-Fiction)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Ch. 3 (III): How Passions Power The Evolutionary Search Engine

Unread post

Please use this thread for discussing Ch. 3 (III): How Passions Power The Evolutionary Search Engine.
Joe Kelley
All Your Posts are Belong to Us!

Re: Ch. 3 (III): How Passions Power The Evolutionary Search Engine

Unread post

Offered for digestion is a concept called “Collective Intelligence” and “Group I.Q.”.

As I read this chapter again I’m confronted again with many complicated thoughts that are seemingly unrelated so what I do is find a focal point from which to base my operations.

My focal point is survival of the species, that is the purpose that makes sense to me, and I am inclined to branch out from that focal point, to base my operations from it, and to view all these other thoughts and perceptions from that base camp.

I can even move one step back to a more basic base camp if needed; which is merely survival (without the “species” qualifier).

The subject matter in this chapter concerns a reasoning of why beings develop the power required to survive by inspecting how that process occurred in our physical and psychological existence, at least as we can perceive it, us human beings.

We are individual beings certainly. I’m not you. You are not me. I see with my eyes, and I think with my brain. There is more than that, there are more than one individual being, and therefore there is, there must be, a collection of individual beings, a sum total – at least.

This makes sense then, all the sense in the world, our species can’t be just one, what happens if the one dies, the result is no more us, no more human beings. One is not enough; there must be more than one, which is how life works. I think the term is reproduction.

If there were just one, as I return back to my base camp, then what are the odds that the one can survive? What if the one makes a wrong turn? The one dies, end of the species.

Two individual can take two directions. This is a familiar story. “Let’s split up, cover more ground.”

The audience shouts: “No, don’t split up, that is certain death, the boogie man picks you off one at a time, safety in numbers.”

Well, then, I’ll go east just far enough to keep you in view as you go west, we can return to base camp and compare notes. We can progress in the better direction based upon which viewpoint uncovers the most likely progressive, better, course.

We can’t stay here, all the food is gone, and it is getting cold.

On the most basic level of life, whatever that may be, there must be a force, a drive, something akin to reason, why does the living thing keep on living?

It does, why does it?

Return to “The Genius of the Beast: A Radical Re-Vision of Capitalism - by Howard Bloom”