• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Donna Bowman review of The God Delusion on AVclub.com

#35: Jan. - Mar. 2007 (Non-Fiction)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Donna Bowman review of The God Delusion on AVclub.com

Unread post

The God Delusionby Richard Dawkins(Houghton Mifflin) Reviewed by Donna BowmanDecember 7th, 2006Without a doubt, contributing to the public understanding of science is a noble pursuit. Confirming the public suspicion that scientists are arrogant, pedantic know-it-alls who want to root out every vestige of mystery and religious awe from society
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Donna Bowman review of The God Delusion on AVclub.com

Unread post

Here are the comments of the people that read Donna's review of The God Delusion.7Comments Niceby tefnutGreat review Donna. As an atheist, my initial intention was to argue bitterly against even the slightest bit of hostility towards Dawkins, but your review was well-argued. I have to agree that there's an unfortunate tendency for repetitive preaching-to-the-converted going on in these books.6:59 PM Thurs January 4, 3907Atheism, hurrayby Catfight'Yet he fails to present atheism as an affirmative, joyful choice.' Concentrating on this may have been a bit redundant, as Dawkins already dedicated an entire book to it -- Unweaving the Rainbow: Science, Delusion and the Appetite for Wonder.6:59 PM Thurs January 4, 3907Dawkinsby MikeThe worst thing about this book is that, if you are a rational atheist, and are bought this as a present (already you can tell was my experience), you'll find not only does he argue most of your values back at you, but worse, when he argues them well, you may find yourself parroting him in an argument some day, and sounding like dawkins lite! 9:34 AM Thurs January 11, 3907the problemby dstoWith his unrelenting zeal and inability for empathy he is just the Pat Robertson or Jerry Falwell for Athieism. Huh, we have our zelous origin-of-the-species too... Oh how I miss Gould.12:37 AM Tues January 16, 3907the God delusionby michael falsiaDonna, Make no mistake about it atheism lives on a faith-commitment the same as any religion. Whatever can be said about any religion can be said for atheism. Why should atheism pass for a more rational non religious belief when in fact it is nothing of the kind. You might say that Dawkins and his intolerance may now be the intellectual equivelant to academic Nazism. In fact he is probably constructing the death camps as I write.3:55 PM Wed January 17, 3907the god delusionby harperi agree that dawkins is, in this book, somewhat heavy handed in his pursuit, but i dont see why he should feel the need to 'present atheism as an affirmative, joyful choice.' it isnt, atheism is neither a positive nor a negative, its just an empty space, one that can be filled with more pressing matters.4:37 PM Tues January 23, 3907The God Delusionby James GustafsonIn my blog review of Dawkins' book I highlight his epistemological weaknesses as the major fault. I have not seen any one else make that case. To claim that rational empricism is the only path to truth is not a self-evident position, nor can it be justified by appealing to rational empiricism.1:44 PM Mon February 26, 3907

Return to “The God Delusion - by Richard Dawkins”