• In total there are 11 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 11 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Ch. 10 - A MUCH NEEDED GAP?

#35: Jan. - Mar. 2007 (Non-Fiction)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Ch. 10 - A MUCH NEEDED GAP?

Unread post

This thread is for discussing Chapter 10 - A MUCH NEEDED GAP?
FiskeMiles

Re: Ch. 10 - A MUCH NEEDED GAP?

Unread post

I finished reading the God Delusion this afternoon and have to say that Dawkin's final section, The Mother of All Burkas, is better than most of what comes before it in the book. Not that I thought the burka metaphor is that effective, it seemed strained and overly cute, but here at last is Dawkins on firm ground talking about science and scientific models of the natural world.I am somewhat puzzled by the following bit on page 366, however.Quote:The number of molecules per glassful [of water] is hugely greater than the number of glassfuls in the world. So every time we have a full glass of water, we are looking at a rather high proportion of the molecules of water that exist in the world.The last part of this is surely mistaken? I mean, so what if there are more molecules of water in a glass of water than the total glasses of water in the world. The total molecular count of water in that glass is still a vanishingly small percentage of the total molecules of water in the world -- not the "high proportion" Dawkins indicates. It puzzles me how he could make such an elementary blunder.The Wittgenstein question on page 367, "Well, what would it have looked like if it had looked as if the Earth was rotating," didn't phase me for a second. The answer is simple, it would have looked like the sky at night. The reason the sun seems to move instead of the Earth is that it is so apparently small in the sky. But, on a clear night, with the entire panoply of stars across the entire sky, the situation is totally different. Of course, people rarely spend more than a moment or two looking at the night sky. If you happen to spend the entire night, or a good portion of it, studying the night sky, the change in position of the constellations is dramatic. It's quite easy, in fact, to imagine the Earth rotating because the stellar patterns are so vast and detailed, covering, as they do, the entire sky.The next paragraph lumps both the sun and stars into one group, asserting that they seem small compared with familiar landmarks. I can say with near certainty that this argument would never be made by amateur astronomers, both because of what I said above, and the fact that familiar landmarks are hidden in darkness at night. This is not an insight that would occur to contemporary professional astronomers, who rarely ever spend any time under the night sky. In fact, listening to a lecture from a professional astronomer talking about the actual appearance of the night sky, or what can and can't be seen through a telescope, often results in some of the biggest howlers imaginable to people who spend a lot of time looking at the sky simply because they love to do it.Fiskewww.fiskemiles.com
ginof
Sophomore

Unread post

Quote:So every time we have a full glass of water, we are looking at a rather high proportion of the molecules of water that exist in the world.this is a typo. If we were looking at a high proportion of the molecues of whater that existed in the world, we'd be looking at an ocean!We actually did this calculation in college physics or chemistry: Assuming they amount of air on earth is fixed and the molecules are still in the atmosphere (not having become part of a tree, etc), the odds that one of the molecules in george washington's last breath is in your lung right now is high, like 10 - 20% or something like that. It's the same thing with the glass of water.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Quote:It's the same thing with the glass of water. Maybe this is what Dawkins meant? Thats what I thought when I read that line, but I admit it did seem like an error to me.Mr. P. I'm not saying it's usual for people to do those things but I(with the permission of God) have raised a dog from the dead and healed many people from all sorts of ailments. - Asana Boditharta (former booktalk troll)The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.What is all this shit about Angels? Have you heard this? 3 out of 4 people believe in Angels. Are you F****** STUPID? Has everybody lost their mind? - George CarlinI came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper

Return to “The God Delusion - by Richard Dawkins”