• In total there are 11 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 11 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

The God Delusion - An average American's thoughts.

#35: Jan. - Mar. 2007 (Non-Fiction)
Metaphorm

The God Delusion - An average American's thoughts.

Unread post

I'm not going to try to analyze Dawkin's approach or his arguments. I'm sure there has been no shortage of that on these forum. I'm just gonna pretty much ramble about my experience reading the book. I am somewhat familiar with this author's work. I've read "Unweaving the Rainbow" and I own "The Selfish Gene." I was also fortunate enough to participate in the live chat when Dawkin's graciously agree to be a guest. My general reaction to "The God Delusion" was positive. Dawkin's covered a lot of ground, both old and new. I felt he made a good case for non-belief...not an academic case, but a practical case, for the practical reader. I got the feeling, based on his casual writing style, that he was bending over backwards to reach an audience that, for reasons having largely to do with religion, is ignorant of basic scientific fact and theory. It was difficult for me to remain interested in the the book as it developed. I'm irreligious already...I've heard many of the arguments a few times. I don't need to be persuaded. I'm not sure how I would have reacted to this book had I held other beliefs. Dawkin's is pretty sarcastic sometimes. The title is really "The God Delusion...for Dummies." You can't see the "for Dummies" part, but it's definitely there. In his own way I believe Dawkin's is a very compassionate person. You start to see it once you get past being offended by his "insensitivity." It's ridiculously stupid that so much of our world still clings to practices that cause so much suffering. I dunno, maybe we'd still practice the same cruelties without religion. Maybe it's part of human nature. There'd still be wars and oppression and poverty...hate between the haves and have nots...more and more humans...fewer and fewer resources...and ignorance all around. I think we're pretty much screwed with our without religion...better to be screwed without it than with it I guess.

Return to “The God Delusion - by Richard Dawkins”