• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

The Sound and the Fury, section 3, April 6, 1928

#74: Nov. - Dec. 2009 (Fiction)
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

The Sound and the Fury, section 3, April 6, 1928

Unread post

THE SOUND AND THE FURY, APRIL 6, 1928
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: The Sound and the Fury, section 3, April 6, 1928

Unread post

I just finished Section 3, and boy, what a shit-heel this Jason is. The Compson family presents exceptionally sharp contrasts. Two people couldn't be more dissimilar than Quentin and Jason, yet they are brothers. This section reads totally differently, of course, as there is nothing in Jason's mind except avarice and no thoughts of any person other than himself. It speeds ahead where the previous two needed to take their time sorting out for us the mental strands. He is quite the petty villain.

I'm going to read the section on Dilsey and then come back to the first two. I think they'll be clearer then.

Random note on Faulkner. In a biography of Robert Frost, the author quotes a letter Frost wrote about a writers' conference in Brazil that both writers attended:

"It was as I feared with Faulkner. He has stolen the show by doing nothing for it but to lie up dead drunk like a genius. The consul...has been caring for Faulkner day and night, bathing him in the tub and feeding him in bed...He looked very sick and ashamed to me."
Morganhorsey
Official Newbie!

Re: The Sound and the Fury, section 3, April 6, 1928

Unread post

This is exactly what I was wanting to comment on.
Jason Jr. has seemingly no redeemable qualities yet I find him to be the most entertaining character.
He is the most tragic, sarcastic, and humorous character of the whole novel.
Does this make me a racist and am I missing Faulkner's message here?
I am most entertained by Jason Compson Jr. even though he is an asshole, bastard.
I feel the same way as being deeply entertained and then feeling guilt by being entertained by Tony Soprano.
Faulkner raised the bar in Classic American Lit.
Can anyone tell me if WF and FO were ever acquainted ?
I am a deep spiritual fan of them both.
Thanks,
Morganhorsey

Return to “The Sound and the Fury - by William Faulkner”