• In total there are 5 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Smoke and Mirrors - Snow, Glass, Apples

#72: Sept. - Oct. 2009 (Fiction)
poettess
All Star Member

Smoke and Mirrors - Snow, Glass, Apples

Unread post

Twisted Story of Snow White and the 7 dwarves
Last edited by poettess on Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
poettess
All Star Member

Unread post

I am not sure why this one wasn't added to the list of topics, maybe I have a newer version of the book, but I liked this story since it shows an alternate reality to the perfect princess world that we grew up with (or at least that I grew up with). I like the way that evil and good are switched around so that we are seeing an opposite view and possibility for the story of Snow White and the 7 Dwarves. The prince as a necrophiliac, the girl as a vampire and the witch as the hopeful saviour of the realm...very nice twist. Reminds me of how we commonly in the day and age assign the label of evil to things and people when perhaps the image is not so clear when looking at it from another angle.
tbarron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

This story reminded me of Wicked, the alternate retelling of The Wizard of Oz by Gregory Maguire.

I also wanted to say about the book as a whole that I really like the way the author gives us glimpses into his writing process in the notes about each story, and in some of the stories themselves. The Goldfish Pool and Other Stories comes to mind.

Return to “Smoke and Mirrors: Short Fictions and Illusions - by Neil Gaiman”