• In total there are 7 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

"The Selfish Gene" and THEN "The Extended Phenotype" - please read

#71: Sept. - Oct. 2009 (Non-Fiction)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

"The Selfish Gene" and THEN "The Extended Phe

Unread post

"The Selfish Gene" and THEN "The Extended Phenotype"

Although "The Extended Phenotype" was the book suggested and the book that won in the recent non-fiction book poll, it makes much more sense to read and discuss "The Selfish Gene" first. This idea was presented to a handful of people that voted for "The Extended Phenotype" and they all agreed that placing "The Selfish Gene" on the schedule first would be the right thing to do.

So here it is. "The Selfish Gene" will be our September and October nonfiction book and then "The Extended Phenotype" will be our October and November non-fiction book. We'll all benefit the most if we read both of these books so please consider ordering your copies right away.

Live author chat with Richard Dawkins?

We hosted a live author chat with Richard Dawkins years ago where we discussed his book, "Unweaving the Rainbow." If we'd all like the privilege of another live chat with Professor Dawkins we'll have to earn it by maximizing the quality AND quantity of posts in both of these book discussions.

The "Extended Phenotype" forum has been made temporarily invisible

Since this book discussion period doesn't start until October it doesn't serve us well to have this forum sitting empty at the top of the Non-Fiction book forums. So I've made the forum invisible until we're all ready to open it up to the public. If at any time you feel you're ready for "The Extended Phenotype" to be opened just say so and we'll discuss that possibility. But it is never good to have an empty forum sitting for a long period of time.

We now have books chosen for many months in advance and the furthest out discussions will get little to no activity for quite some time. So that forum has been hidden. I hope this makes sense. Besides, there are a lot of people that will not read this post and will not understand that these two books are meant to be read in sequence. If people buy and start to read "The Extended Phenotype" without previously having read 'The Selfish Gene" they might give up and quit in frustration. There is no reason to risk this so the opportunity for such an issue has been removed by making that forum invisible.

I know this post was long and little was said, but these are the types of questions I get via email and private messages every day. I figured I'd explain things here where everyone can see it.
Last edited by Chris OConnor on Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

Hi Chris
I would be happy to volunteer to lead the discussion on The Selfish Gene. I'm re-reading it now and have read two chapters, so can start discussion now. BTW, could you please fix the link from "Join The Book Discussion" under the picture of The Selfish Gene cover.
Robert
WildCityWoman
Genius

Unread post

I've got to admit - I can't keep my mind on this one.

I know I told Robert I'd have a go at it, but I'm not big on this kinda' book.

Return to “The Selfish Gene - by Richard Dawkins”