• In total there are 5 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Author Bio

#69: Aug. - Sept. 2009 (Fiction)
Krysondra

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Intern

Author Bio

Unread post

From Biography Base

Mark Z. Danielewski (born 1966) received critical acclaim when his best seller novel House of Leaves was released in the year 2000. Mark is the brother of famous pop singer Poe, and toured with her in 2000 to promote her album and his book. He is also the author of The Whalestoe Letters, a companion book to House of Leaves.

I also read somewhere that it took him 10 years to complete House of Leaves and that he studied Latin.

A bright, shiney, new penny to those who can find more!
"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never say a common place thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars..." ~ Jack Kerouac
kal
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Copied from Wikipedia (there is also a photo, for those curious as to how he looks):

Mark Z. Danielewski (born March 5, 1966) is an American author. He is the son of Polish avant-garde film director Tad Danielewski and the brother of singer and songwriter Annie Decatur Danielewski, a.k.a. Poe.

Danielewski studied English Literature at Yale. He then decided to move to Berkeley, California, where he took a summer program in Latin at the University of California, Berkeley. He also spent time in Paris, preoccupied mostly with writing.

In the early 1990s, he pursued graduate studies at the USC School of Cinema-Television. He later served as an assistant editor and worked on sound for Derrida, a documentary based on the life of the Algerian-born French literary critic and philosopher Jacques Derrida.

House of Leaves, Danielewski's first novel, has gained a considerable cult following. His second novel, Only Revolutions, was released in 2006. Though released to less critical acclaim than his debut, the novel was a finalist for the 2006 National Book Award. Danielewski's work is characterized by experimental choices in form, such as intricate and multi-layered narratives, typographical variation, and inconsistent page layouts.

His cinema studies probably helped with many aspects of the book.....
Krysondra

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Intern

Unread post

His work for Derrida probably did a lot for his writing, too. Derida had some....interesting ideas.

So kal, PM me and I'll send you your bright shiney new penny as soon as I find one! *G*

The same goes for anyone else who can fill in more blanks!
"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never say a common place thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars..." ~ Jack Kerouac

Return to “House of Leaves - by Mark Z. Danielewski”