• In total there are 10 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 10 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Let the Great World Spin: A Novel by Colum McCann

A dedicated forum for discussing and celebrating your favorite short stories and short story authors.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

I enjoyed this collection of short shories very much and would love to discuss. Anyone out there read it or want to? The book is divided into 4 books; 13 short stories in all. This book does call itself a novel, but it is a collection of stories that are connected by an event that took place in August 1974. Each of these stories stand alone as its own story.

The event was the real-life feat by French funambulist Philippe Petit and becomes the touchstone for the stories that briefly submerge you in ten varied and intense lives. The feat was the historic high wire walk Petit made between the World Trade Center towers on a cable, clandestinely strung between the two towers.
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Re: Let the Great World Spin: A Novel by Colum McCann

Unread post

The first story is "Those Who Saw Him Hushed."

The opening story is a description of NYC on the day in August 1974 that Philippe Petit performed his amazing walk from tower to tower of the World Trade Center.
bookworm86
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I've been wanting to read this for awhile now. I actually downloaded the book through Oprah's website for free two summers ago, I just haven't sat down to focus on it. I might have to soon. Thanks for reminding me :)
"Some books should be tasted, some devoured, but only a few should be chewed and digested thoroughly."
- Cornelia Funke.

Currently Reading:
Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys

Just Finished:
The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

bookworm86 wrote:I've been wanting to read this for awhile now. I actually downloaded the book through Oprah's website for free two summers ago, I just haven't sat down to focus on it. I might have to soon. Thanks for reminding me :)
Thanks for the tip (didn't even know you gave me one, did you?). Anyone who would like to give the book a try, here is an online link to the first story.

http://www.oprah.com/omagazine/Let-the- ... ok-Excerpt

And here is a link to an interview with Colum McCann:

http://www.oprah.com/omagazine/Colum-Mc ... World-Spin

Return to “Short Story Discussions”