• In total there are 10 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 9 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

The Magic Shop by H.G. Wells - A short story discussion

A dedicated forum for discussing and celebrating your favorite short stories and short story authors.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

The Magic Shop by H.G. Wells - A short story discussion

Unread post

The Magic Shop
by H.G. Wells

Read The Magic Shop for free online.

Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Re: The Magic Shop by H.G. Wells - A discussion

Unread post

What's meant by "rum" in this story? Odd? And how about "ansoms?"
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:What's meant by "rum" in this story? Odd? And how about "ansoms?"
I would guess that "rum" means odd here when the narrator uses it, although the store's proprietor also uses the word to describe the type of magic he sells. Is "ansoms" the word the weird magician taught Gip to animate the toy soldiers? Gip says the word "with exultation." I like the part of the story where the magician implies that the stuff coming out of the narrator's hat represents his own mental baggage, not an illusion created by the magician.
He shook my hat, and shook out into his extended hand two or three eggs, a large marble, a watch, about half-a-dozen of the inevitable glass balls, and then crumpled, crinkled paper, more and more and more, talking all the time of the way in which people neglect to brush their hats INSIDE as well as out, politely, of course, but with a certain personal application. “All sorts of things accumulate, sir. . . . Not YOU, of course, in particular. . . . Nearly every customer. . . . Astonishing what they carry about with them . . . .”

What do we make of the narrator's caution in talking about the incident to his son? Does he fear having exposed his son to demonic powers and doesn't want to bring up the matter ?
The intelligent parent will understand that I have to go cautiously with Gip.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

According to the Dictionary of British Slang, 'rum' means odd, peculiar or unusual. I am going to go back and read the story in print (listened to it last night on audio). As for 'ansoms,' from my reading, Cockney Brits tend to drop the h or add an unneeded one. I know this seems contradictory, but...? With that in mind, an 'ansom' could very well refer to a Hansom coach or cab, in common use at the time this story is set.

My overall reaction is that this was not one of Well's better stories, but I did enjoy it. More to follow later.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

I enjoyed it too but it wasn't one I'd suggest to people. Have you guys read any Jack London stories? I love man vs nature stuff.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Yes, I have read (in no partucular order) "Call of the Wild," "To Build a Fire," "The Strength of the Stong," and "The Star Rover." I particularly liked "The Strength of the Strong." Caveat; it's been a long time since I read any of them.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

I've read London's "The Sea-Wolf". It combines man vs. nature and man vs. man. Good stuff to read about, and to live with. Life's struggles.

But this is about H.G. Wells' The Magic Shop.

Sinister to say the least. I'm glad it is only fiction. In such a short form we go from innocent parlor tricks to the question of mythic evil.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I agree with your assessment. The narrator, with his completely conventional ideas and, no doubt, entire faith in rational explanations, gets a disturbing glimpse into either himself or a wholly other world of spiritual happenings. Wells doesn't commit to which one it is. We're left wondering, just as the narrator is, whether the kid has been changed by an experience or is just continuing his childish make-believe with the toy soldiers. I think of the children in Henry James' "The Turn of the Screw." It was an effective story. This is the first Wells story I've read.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

DWill wrote:I think of the children in Henry James' "The Turn of the Screw." It was an effective story. This is the first Wells story I've read.
I was reminded of "The Turn of the Screw" as well. 'The Magic Shop' in my reading falls in the genre of horror. Imagining the father attempting to walk in on the toy soldiers during an animated state hints at a descent into madness.

In reviewing the list of stories Wells is responsible for I'm surprised that I have not read any of his work other than this short story.
This is likely due to having seen the film adaptations of which there are more than several... including The Time Machine, The War of the Worlds, The Island of Dr. Moreau, The Food of the Gods.

Being the Si-fi fan that I am, I'm compelled now, to check-out, at least one of his novels.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Have you seen this guy's bibliography? How anyone manages to write this much, let alone publish it, boggles my mind. I have the impression that Wells' stuff is high in interest, but probably lacking in the qualities that make literary critics rate him very highly. I say "so what" to that. I've only read a few of his novels--the most well-known. They tend to be short and punchy.

When you read a short story, sometimes it opens you up to wondering about the rest of the writer's work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._G._Wells_bibliography

Return to “Short Story Discussions”