• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Are you happy?

#36: April - June 2007 (Non-Fiction)
Loricat
Laughs at Einstein

Are you happy?

Unread post

I find it rather sad that in the USA, perceived happiness peaked in the 1950s. Are you happy? Do you have enough "stuff"? (however you define it)Are you concerned about 'keeping up with the Joneses'?Your relationships, your work, your leisure -- are they all working for you?Any regrets? Any unfulfilled dreams?So, here's a semi-serious poll:Results (total votes = 4):I'm happy, as I define it.&nbsp0 / 0.0%&nbspI'm happy -- by anyone's standards!&nbsp0 / 0.0%&nbspI'm generally happy...I'm just wanting _________&nbsp3 / 75.0%&nbsp I'm happy sometimes, when certain factors are in place&nbsp1 / 25.0%&nbsp I could be a lot happier&nbsp0 / 0.0%&nbsp "All beings are the owners of their deeds, the heirs to their deeds." Loricat's Book NookCelebrating the Absurd
Loricat
Laughs at Einstein

Re: Are you happy?

Unread post

I'm just wanting a bit more security on my job...'causes me a bit of stress, other than that, all is well.I do dream sometimes of being able to live and work in Paris. I would like more chances to travel -- but are these dreams realistic, or a product of our time and place, that these things are even possible?!? "All beings are the owners of their deeds, the heirs to their deeds." Loricat's Book NookCelebrating the Absurd
RaulRamos

Re: Are you happy?

Unread post

I am happy when internal factors such as neuronal balance etc. take place. I tend to think things could be much much worse and am very thankful for the good things that life has brought along so far. However I tend to get down when I think about the sense of life and when I am invaded by pessimism, which happens regularly. As for happiness through possessions, by pure geographical luck I belong to the group beyond the whatever-dollar-mark which can afford realizing that material things are not the guarantee for happiness. Not that I am an idealist who thinks there is no difference between being poor and being rich. The kind of medical treatment you get, for example, is very different. But of course you needn't be a millionaire to get most good things in life (unless you are an unsatiable addict to money, in which case you have a serious psychological problem ).So, I would not say that money or material possessions are in any way one of the cause of my down moments.
AubreyAlexis

happiness

Unread post

I'm just wanting to be closer to my family.....

Return to “Deep Economy: The Wealth of Communities and the Durable Future - by Bill McKibben”