• In total there are 29 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 29 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Are Audio Books Harmful?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
TammyII
Getting Comfortable

Are Audio Books Harmful?

Unread post

Hi everyone,

I have a question, is it really true that audio books can be harmful for individuals, or children especially? Someone told me that it makes a child lazy...
chancew1
Almost Comfortable

Re: Are Audio Books Harmful?

Unread post

I can't imagine an audio book making someone lazy.

Especially children. I don't know if I've ever see a child listen to an audio book.

First of all, most people can read at least two or three times faster than they can listen. It takes a lot of time to get through an audio book. Most people listen to audio books at times when they can't read - in the car, while doing housework, that sort of thing.

Finally, an audio book only provides the words, just like reading. The only difference is that they come in the ears, not the eyes. It's not like a television show - you still have to use your imagination.

I don't see how listening with the ears is any more lazy than looking with your eyes.
Later,
Bill

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Pogo
My Blog, Things Are Not Going to Turn Out Well
http://billchance.org
Cherrybear13
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Plus, some audio books can bennefit children. They have the read along books with the audio so difficult words are used in sentences to help the child understand.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I think audiobooks are a great compliment to written books and as Bill says above they are perfect for when a person cannot take the time to read.
BretAM5
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

I could never read in the car growing up (still can't, always get carsick after a minute or so). But I must have listened to the first four Harry Potter books on cassette about a hundred times on long car trips. I don't think it hurt my development as a reader.

By the time the fifth book was out and on audio, though, I had discovered classic rock, and my car rides became filled with glorious music. To each his own.
"As far as I'm concerned, the entire reason for becoming a writer is not having to get up in the morning." -Neil Gaiman

Check out my fiction blog/online notebook, Watch Your Eyes
DamianLake
All Your Posts are Belong to Us!

Unread post

I hear this opinion from time to time. Here is my own take on it, as a person who has spent 3/4 of my life immersed in books, and half of them audiobooks thanks to my local library.

It seems to me that anyone spouting the statement that audio books makes children lazy is someone who, himself, is too lazy to actually look up that sort of statistic and is instead passing off their own opinion disguised as a pseudo-fact. Parents are encouraged to read to their children because it is beneficial in numerous ways. I could go on endlessly, but the facts are best summed up by the masters themselves.

Jim Dale, (the most awesome reader the Harry Potter books could have ever received), shares the company line with us at the end of the last few Potter books. I wholeheartedly agree with the statement. Nothing I have ever seen in my own life and the lives of others has made me question this even once. Here is their argument, word for word:

"Hello, this is Jim Dale. I hope you have enjoyed this unabridged listening library production. As you know, audio books are great entertainment and a wonderful way to enjoy a good book when your hands are busy, but have you ever considered audiobooks as being good for you? Most of us know from firsthand experience just how beneficial it is to read aloud to the children in our lives. Listening to stories helps children build vocabulary, improve their reading skills, and succeed more readily in school. Being read to is an important step on the road to becoming a good reader and one of the best ways to ensure a lifelong love of literature and reading. But few of us have all the time we'd like to read to the children in our lives; that's where audiobooks can help. Instead of letting a child turn on the television or pop in a video game, try pressing play and engaging them in a good book. Listening to an audiobook has the same educational value as it would if someone were doing the reading in person, and they are great entertainment for trips in the car or at home when no one is available to read to them. A wide range of books guaranteed to appeal to children of all ages, including most childhood classics, are available on cassette or cd in bookstores and libraries across the country. So the next time you are considering what to listen to, why not consider picking up something for the children in your life?"
DamianLake
All Your Posts are Belong to Us!

Unread post

Just to complete my thoughts from above, I would go crazy if I didn't have my headphones to listen to while doing the yard work or other household chores that are so mind-numbingly dull.
downtown1441
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Kind of on a related note, I just saw this article about how a company is releasing an app that sets e-books to soundtracks, unless it's classical music I can't imagine it not being distracting though:

http://www.businessinsider.com/booktracks-2011-8
R. LeBeaux
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

Does reading to a child cause harm? Though it lacks the human interaction and question/answer aspect, I would guess that listening to an audio book is a similar experience to having a book read by a parent or other adult. I read to my children every night when they were young, in the hopes that they would develop a love for literature and reading. It worked for my first two, but by the time my youngest was in his teens, cell phones, the Internet and video gaming had come along and essentially replaced all that with more "instant gratification." On the other hand, he learned to type incredibly fast and became a good writer, so I guess the tradeoff was ultimately of some value.
Author of the novel Then Again - An Adventure in Time Travel
amazon.com/Then-Again-Adventure-Time-Tr ... f_=asap_bc
http://www.wmpublishing.com/
nomsisa
Master Debater

Unread post

During many sleepless nights have I enjoyed stories told to me..often drifting off , missing the last few pages read; but tomorrow night will arrive, sleepless hours too.. and some one will read to me again...starting where we left off during a previous night..
Though, I do prefer turning pages ...
Last edited by nomsisa on Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Everything Else”