• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Beauty as explored in TPoDG

#65: Mar. - April 2009 (Fiction)
Thrillwriter

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
All Star Member

Beauty as explored in TPoDG

Unread post

Society will always instinctively judge someone based on their appearance, politically we will trust someone who looks more pure and innocent with power, and culturally we will accept people who fit a certain physical standard. However the point is that beauty is not based on how attractive an object is to everybody, but how attractive it is to one.
"A good friend can tell you what is the matter with you in a minute. He may not seem such a good friend after telling." - Arthur Brisbane
MaryLupin

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Junior

Unread post

I haven't read Dorian in years (decades actually) but something I have always thought interesting was the relationship between Wittgenstein's "the body is the best picture of the soul" and the Dorian's decay.

Of course Wittgenstein was born in 1889 and Wilde died in 1900 so there is no direct connection. But I think Wilde had a sense of reality that was deeply embodied, as if he took Wittgenstein’s dictum seriously without ever hearing it.

I do know that Wilde had some fairly strong feelings about the nature of Art and its constitutive capacity, and the indissoluble relationship between reality and fraudulence, so it may be that Dorian was for Wilde’s readers a picture of that relationship as much as he was a simple moral lesson. And the power of Art was, or course, brought clearly to the forefront by that painting.

Don’t know but have always suspected Wilde of more depth than he is usually credited.
I've always found it rather exciting to remember that there is a difference between what we experience and what we think it means.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

Mary:
Don’t know but have always suspected Wilde of more depth than he is usually credited.
He did say some profound things in a very humorous way....and I think that is the mark of genius.

I love his childrens' stories. But then I am reaching my second childhood, never really feeling that I achieved adulthood in the interim. :oops:
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
MaryLupin

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Junior

Unread post

I've never read his children's books but I did learn something about his life and I do think he had a kind of genius. I think he was a man who was willing to pay the price that came with living what he actually was. That, it seems to me, is fairly rare and I deeply admire it when I see it.

What was your favourite children's book of his?

BTW, I have always thought that living a second childhood was a good thing. Maybe because the people that I have heard accused of it were really just giving up that which hurt them. Wise choice I have always thought.
I've always found it rather exciting to remember that there is a difference between what we experience and what we think it means.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Mary:
What was your favourite children's book of his?
The Happy Prince and Other Stories by Oscar Wilde.

My favourite of the stories is called 'The Selfish Giant'.

However, my grandson is not impressed by them at all - he likes TinTin, Asterix the Gaul and Star Wars. So perhaps they are sureptitious fairy stories for adults - which would be just like Oscar. :smile:
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

Rafael Sabatini
MaryLupin

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Junior

Unread post

When I was a child my favourite stories were Grimms and some Mesopotamian stories I had.

Once I grew older I found I really liked Barbara Walker's Feminist Fairytales and some of the stories found in Clarissa Pinkola Estes' Woman who run with the wolves. I also really like the Poia stories from the Blackfeet, which led me to love the books by James Welch (especially Winter in the Blood) and Leslie Marmon Silko (Garden in the Dunes, in particular).
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Do you know Mary, except for the Grimms, I don't think I've ever heard of any of the others you mention, even less read them.

I did like Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley which told the legend of King Arthur and Guinevere, the Knights of the Round Table and Merlin and Morgana, from a feminist point of view. It is one of those books which you never forget. I loved it and so did my daughter.

Rafael Sabatini
MaryLupin

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Junior

Unread post

I read Mists and liked it. I had read more "classic" takes on that set of stories and I have to say I appreciate different views on topics. I have found nothing so mind-widening as trying to look at my cultural background through the eyes of others. That's why I love reading stories from a variety of cultures. They are all talking about what it means to be a good person, a strong man or woman, how to survive devastation and how to be happy, but what they see and what they say contrasts so strongly with the "mainstream" that it makes ridiculous the notion that there is one right way or one truth.

I read TPoDG from this perspective. Wilde was an outsider even amongst those who he should have been able to claim as his own. It made him "see" differently, and those differences peer out at us through the changing picture in the book.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I think you are right. Perhaps that is why I like to read travelogues. Especially those of Dervla Murphy. She seems to get a different take on the peoples she meets, than a man would. I also like her humour.

I hadn't thought of reading Dorian Grey from the perspectives you suggest, so perhaps I will read it again with your ideas in mind. I have often thought about most peoples' desire to be loved, or at least liked. The problem seems to crop up when they want to be admired. If we fail in any of these, I wondered if we then settle for a state of belonging and we join 'groups' and conform to how they think we should be.

It is puzzling why people in the western world are so often unhappy when really we have all we could wish for, physically. It seems that psychologically, we have something lacking. That's why I like to read Dervla, because she seems to be interested too, in why people in the poorer countries, who live in supportive communities, seem to be happier.

Rafael Sabatini
Trish
Experienced

Unread post

I'm not quite understanding something and I think it's causing me to misunderstand Wilde's love of beauty. How can one exalt beauty above all else, including morals, and warn against the evils of shallowness?

Return to “The Picture of Dorian Gray - by Oscar Wilde”