• In total there are 22 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 22 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Powering the future

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Powering the future

Unread post

cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6228923n&am ... ncol;lst;1

60 minutes presents a start up that plans to use fuel cells to power every home in the world.

Interesting.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: The Bloom Box

Unread post

I saw that 60 minutes segment, johnson (it's my fav. show, after all). It was pretty cool that this one maverick is set to take on the big energy conglomerates with Bloom Boxes that will reduce everyone's reliance on the grid and save a bunch of energy. I don't understand the science, but I gather that the thousands of cells that make up a box are a super-efficient engine for using a power source. It's not that the box itself produces energy without this assist.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I read that on Cnet yesterday, sounds interesting. Wonder if they'll go public, IPO.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

obligatory wikipedia link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloom_Box

Some good stuff in there.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Thorium, rather than plutonium nuclear power plants.

Watch it. It's good stuff!

http://www.wimp.com/thoriumcrisis/
-Guillermo Del Torro

lfreddecolo
Official Newbie!

Re: Powering the future

Unread post

Powering the Future is a four-part television event forecasting the world of energy in the not-too-distant future. We address the Earth's energy challenge from every angle, and cut through the noise by establishing a simple target: a clean, limitless, and secure energy supply by the middle of this century. Powering the Future puts energy on the national stage with programming that builds to the inescapable logic: we must act.

Return to “Science & Technology”