• In total there are 23 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 23 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

The Large Hadron Collider

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

The Large Hadron Collider

Unread post

here's a great video about what's going on at the LHC.

Check it out!

http://io9.com/5905897/the-webcomic-gui ... iggs-boson

Here's another great video about Dark matter.

http://vimeo.com/22956103

from PHDcomics.

good stuff!
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Re: The Large Hadron Collider

Unread post

aw....

no love for the LHC?

This is the greatest experiement on the planet. It will give us insight into the foundations of the universe that we have never had!

... sad science is sad.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

johnson1010 wrote:aw....

no love for the LHC?

This is the greatest experiement on the planet. It will give us insight into the foundations of the universe that we have never had!

... sad science is sad.
I thought I had read last week that a new particle was discovered?
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Do you have that link, Ant?

That's awesome!

I know they were hard on the heels of the higgs with a sigma 4 confirmation. I'm winging it here, but i think they need a sigma 7 level of confidence before they confirm its existence.

It is interesting to think of mass as being a kind of charge. I've been trying to really dig into this stuff lately.
-Guillermo Del Torro

ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

johnson1010 wrote:Do you have that link, Ant?

That's awesome!

I know they were hard on the heels of the higgs with a sigma 4 confirmation. I'm winging it here, but i think they need a sigma 7 level of confidence before they confirm its existence.

It is interesting to think of mass as being a kind of charge. I've been trying to really dig into this stuff lately.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... n-collider
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

A never-before-seen subatomic particle has popped into existence inside the world's largest atom smasher, bringing physicists a step closer to unraveling the mystery of how matter is put together in the universe. After crashing particles together about 530 trillion times, scientists working on the CMS experiment at Switzerland's Large Hadron Collider (LHC) saw unmistakable evidence for a new type of "beauty baryon."
Yes, 530 Trillion collisions (WOW!) yield a new particle, but not The Higgs. Yet.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Well, not exactly, Landroid.

They see evidence which strongly implies the higgs, but not enough yet to rule out other explanations.

They want to be very confident of their results before publishing and asserting that it is indeed there.

So, they ARE seeing it, but they want to be certain.

http://www.science20.com/quantum_diarie ... gnal-87751
-Guillermo Del Torro

giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

Thought there would be a little buzz here on BT ... in less than 48 hours, discovery of the Higgs boson particle will be announced in Australia, or maybe not. July 4 is the big day apparently, an auspicious day for Americans for sure. Could be an element of deliberate timing there. If I understand, its a matter of meeting an scientifically acceptable standard of proof .. 5 sigma I think, or a probability of error of one in 3.5 Million.
Sebastian Michael
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Well, as Prof Rolf Heuer, director-general of CERN, in Switzerland, where the experiments were conducted, put it today: "As a layman I would now say I think we have it."

This article on the BBC News website gives a compact explanation of what it is they were looking for, what it is they think they may now have found and what new questions this immediately raises, as any scientific discovery, of course, does:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-18702455

One way or another: a tremendously exciting day for our entire species, it would seem...
Image"A delight to read. So delicate, casually cruel, wickedly funny and wildly alluring." - Stephen Fry

Angel by Sebastian Michael on kindle on iBooks in hardback in paperback
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Here's the guy from Sixty Symbols discussing the Higgs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjnFDoXS ... Y7Axb-jZew
-Guillermo Del Torro

Return to “Science & Technology”