• In total there are 5 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Introduction: You're too nice

#39: July - Oct. 2007 (Non-Fiction)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Introduction: You're too nice

Unread post

This thread is for discussing the Introduction to Godless in America.Introduction: You're too nice
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Re: Introduction: You're too nice

Unread post

I just want to say that I think this is a great book choice!If one of our regular members is published I think it is a good idea to add their work to our discussion group. Later Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a wellpreserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,shouting..."Holy Crap...what a ride!"
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

And the book is a damn good read too. George is a talented writer and an asset to the freethinker community. I'm proud to have him as a BookTalk member and now as one of our authors.
lemmme think

Unread post

I really enjoyed the introduction ~ so many things resonate with my own personal journey. I distinctly remember feeling liberated, downright exhilarated when I decided to quit trying to make myself believe. I was definitely one that "maintain(ed) my faith by suspending my disbelief."What I do lack is people in my life that are comfortable discussing atheism with me, so I look forward to reading more, and perhaps getting to the point that George Ricker is of "volunteer nothing but to answer questions honestly." I'm still at the volunteer nothing part . . .This is a great read!
George Ricker

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Junior

Unread post

Author's noteAs is the case with most works, my goal in the introduction was to set the stage for what follows. I begin with a true story about an encounter with a co-worker years ago, continue with a discussion of some of the misconceptions that seem prevalent about atheism and atheists and talk briefly about my own background. I spend a good bit of time defining my terms in an effort to avoid any confusion about what I mean when I use the words "god," "religion," and "atheism." I also make crystal clear my own view of gods and religions, a position that, as I explain in the text, goes beyond mere atheism. Finally, I describe my purpose in writing this testimonial for atheism.In the absence of a moderator, I thought I would go ahead and append a brief synopsis of each chapter in the appropriate threads. Needless to say, I'll be happy to answer any questions about the book that are directed my way.George http://www.godlessinamerica.com"Godlessness is not about denying the existence of nonsensical beings. It is the starting point for living life without them."Godless in America by George A. Ricker
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

Just so you know, I do intend to contribute to this discussion, but I ordered the book over a week ago, and I'm still waiting for it to arrive. At first I thought there might be a problem with my mailing address, having not-too-recently moved, but a check of the mailing status on Amazon.com reveals that they haven't even shipped it yet, and the estimated arrival time is between the last week of September and the first week of October. If that's just the lot of anyone attempting to order your book through Amazon, then it may be several weeks before this forum gets any new participants. As I mentioned before, I tried to find a copy in several local bookstores, but came up short, so for now at least, this is the best I can do. Sorry.
George Ricker

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Junior

Unread post

I don't understand why Amazon would take that long to ship it, but I'll be here whenever it arrives. We may have most of the discussion during the last quarter. As long as there's interest, we can just go ahead. Amazon does seem to be a bit spotty in the service area. I've always had pretty good luck with them. But I've had a few other people tell me it took a while for them to receive their copies. I don't think it's because the book is a POD because they seem to have it in stock. George http://www.godlessinamerica.com"Godlessness is not about denying the existence of nonsensical beings. It is the starting point for living life without them."Godless in America by George A. Ricker
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

Not sure what the problem is, really. I ordered two other books along with it, so maybe one of those is the hold up. Or maybe the estimated delivery date is wrong. Either way, I still haven't gotten the books yet.
Niall001
Stupendously Brilliant

Unread post

Got my book today, it was delayed but the company had an "unexpected shortage", so you must be doing something right George. So far I've just read the introduction. And so far so good. The tone is perfect for your stated intentions. I have to say though that I think you should really change the cover-art at some point in the future George. It reminds me a little bit of something I'd fine advertised at Newsmax, which is kind of funny all things considered. My Blog - with hidden tunes
George Ricker

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Junior

Unread post

Niall, Glad to hear you got the book and liked the introduction. With Chris planning to move this board in a few days, I'm thinking we probably should table any discussion of the book until after the move is made. Maybe by then Mad will have his copy and a few others will join in as well. I know a some other members either have read it or are in the process.George http://www.godlessinamerica.com"Godlessness is not about denying the existence of nonsensical beings. It is the starting point for living life without them."Godless in America by George A. Ricker

Return to “Godless in America: Conversations With an Atheist - by George A. Ricker”