• In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Update: New FREE stories posted (1/9/14)

An open-minded and nonjudgmental place for sharing your personal writing, seeking feedback, and reading and discussing the writing of your fellow members.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
RB816
Atop the Piled Books

Update: New FREE stories posted (1/9/14)

Unread post

I have updated my blog with another two short tales. The first is Ghost Story: A nihilistic writer named Daryl Morgan travels to Westlake Manor to write about the legend of Chloe Bell, a teenager whose spirit allegedly still haunts the fourth floor of the manor.

The second story is called Psychoactive. This is much different than anything I've written before. There is no violence, blood, foul language, or inappropriate situations. This is a story that plays out like a child's fantasy but with a startling twist at the end. The twist will leave you shocked!

The link to my blog is http://www.talesofthemacabrefiction.blogspot.com and I hope you all enjoy as always!
Last edited by RB816 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:56 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Brooks127
Senior
United States of America

Re: two more free stories posted!

Unread post

Checked out your story, "Weeping Willow." Perhaps its not supposed to be, but I found it humorous in spots. I like how you tied in things that can actually happen, little things that can mess up big things.

So you know, I'm trying to reach out to writers who want to network. I've been writing for over ten years, and have learned connections help.

My plan is to get writers to submit short stories to my author site where I can have them available in pdf form for free download. I can't promise any traction, but any publicity is worth it.

If you're interested, let me know. Here's a link to my site. http://www.brookskohler.com/

You can email me from my contact page. Thanks for sharing your work.
RB816
Atop the Piled Books

Unread post

I'm certainly interested, and will contact you ASAP. I agree that any publicity can go a long way. Even if a few people happen to read one of my stories on your site and enjoy the experience, it would be well worth it.

And yes, parts of "Weeping Willow" were meant to be funny depending on your sense of humor. I try to throw in a little dark humor/dry wit into every story I write, regardless of the genre. Thank you for your feedback and response and we'll surely talk again in the future. And best of luck with your site and your writing! I will be sure to check out some of your stories soon.
Brooks127
Senior
United States of America

Unread post

Great! Whenever you're ready, visit my site contact page, and send me an email. You'll have to copy and past my email into your email. I had a comment box up, but it was buggy.

I would prefer you send a text file of the story or stories you send. It makes it easier to work with. I'll convert it to a Pdf.

Also, consider licensing. I license my work under CreativeCommons, but you can choose whatever you prefer.
RB816
Atop the Piled Books

Unread post

I didn't want to start another new thread, but I have updated my blog again with two new short stories, "Devil's Night" and "Flat Tire", along with an original poem I wrote years ago. I hope you all check them out and enjoy. The link is http://www.talesofthemacabrefiction.blogspot.com
Last edited by RB816 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RB816
Atop the Piled Books

Re: Update: two new free stories and a poem

Unread post

My blog (http://www.talesofthemacabrefiction.blogspot.com) has been updated again with four new FREE stories.

Lucky Lenny: A down-on-his-luck alcoholic discovers a silver lining in the form of a beautiful girl named Anna he meets at one of his mandatory AA meetings.

The Garbage Man: A malcontent garbage man named Jerry Spradlin makes a gruesome discovery on his daily garbage route.

Zom-B-Gone: Cody Murdock tries to protect his son Owen in a world overrun by zombies while keeping his zombie wife chained up in the cellar in the hopes that she will one day be human again. In the midst of all the chaos, the government develops and administers a cure with disastrous unintended side effects that make the afflicted urge to be zombies again.

The Fall of Man: Dallas Cain has slipped into an alternate reality in which he is one of the only men left on earth after a global genocide that occurred ten years before. Hunted by every woman on the planet, Dallas must uncover the truth behind his mysterious travels and find a way out before it’s too late.

I could really use some feedback on these so if anyone takes the time to read them, please respond if you can :) Thanks in advance.
Last edited by RB816 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RB816
Atop the Piled Books

Re: Update: four new FREE stories posted (11/8/2013)

Unread post

Hey everyone, just wanted to give you a quick update. I should have four new stories posted on my blog by next week if my schedule doesn't turn out to be too hectic. The stories are "Model", "Wrath", "Evacuation", and "Corkscrew" and the link is http://www.talesofthemacabrefiction.blogspot.com --- check back soon for more updates!

And please check out http://www.brookskohler.com for free downloads of Brooks Kohler's writing and samples of his music. You can also find a link to his Small Doses blog. He is a talented writer working hard to make his dreams come true like every other writer that has chosen this profession. Please support your aspiring authors and visit both our sites :)
Last edited by RB816 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RB816
Atop the Piled Books

Unread post

I haven't had a lot of free time lately but I managed to add one new short to my blog titled "Break-In". If you find the time please check it out and leave me some feedback. http://www.talesofthemacabrefiction.blogspot.com is the link.
Last edited by RB816 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RB816
Atop the Piled Books

Unread post

Hello everyone. In addition to the short zombie story “Break-In” which I added to my blog last week, I have updated the page with four new stories. The stories are listed below…

Evacuation: The citizens of Montauk are thrust into a deadly situation when airborne toxins escape from a nearby research facility, putting the whole town in jeopardy. With a one-lane road as their only form of evacuation, people panic and flee one after the other, causing accidents and pileups that render the roads unusable. With no other alternate routes or forms of escape, the mob works themselves into a wild frenzy. Amidst the chaos, the last few rational citizens struggle to survive and protect themselves from this deadly toxin, and an even deadlier mob.

Model: Five college students take a spring break retreat to Ocean City with differing motives. Griffin is there to reunite with his ex-girlfriend, Shelly. Jude and Ian are there to score pot. Virginia is there for a modeling gig which she hopes to be her big break. And her sister Abigail tags along only at Virginia’s request. Will the five of them have a pleasant, peaceful vacation or is there something sinister that awaits their arrival? And how exactly is this trip connected to the nightmares that have plagued Abigail for weeks?

Corkscrew: A murder mystery which is the first story to feature one of my favorite characters, homicide detective Weston Archer. I hope to write more Archer tales in the future if people respond to this one.

Wrath: A registered sex offender is wrongly accused in the death of fifteen-year-old Mallory Ward and is brought to justice by a savage mob led by the girl’s father. Esther Driscoll, referred to as the Witch of Westlake by the town children, learns of this heinous crime and uses her powers to awaken a prehistoric beast to exact revenge on the men who killed her only friend.

New stories coming soon include “Exploitation”, “Extermination”, and “In the Flesh”, a new zombie story that will be a follow-up to “Break-In”.
RB816
Atop the Piled Books

Re: Update: Two new free stories posted (12/27/13)

Unread post

First thing's first: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all!

With that being said, I have updated my blog yet again with two stories. The first is a new original titled "Boogeyman" and the second is a revised version of an older story "The Garbage Man". As always the link to my blog is www.talesofthemacabrefiction.blogspot.com and as always I hope you all enjoy reading them as much as I did writing them :)
Last edited by RB816 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Creative Writing”