• In total there are 34 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 33 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Twenty arguments for god

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Twenty arguments for god

Unread post

Yeah, that's nonsense. An obligation is a legally or morally binding act. In this sense, a morally binding act.

So we're morally bound to be morally good?

It doesn't make any sense.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

Interbane wrote:It doesn't make any sense.
1. It doesn't make any sense.
2. therefore God
3. therefore Jehovah

:lol:
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

3. The Argument from Time and Contingency

i've seen this one credited to Leibniz and stated more neatly here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPCzEP0oD7I

it suffers from the same problem as all arguments for God.

it's a powergrab.

you take the term "nobody knows" and swap it for "God" then you swap "God" for "my particular God"

now you have dominion over your fellow man who is uncritical and submissive (read stupid) enough to fall for such deceptiveness, after a generation or two of people being born into it they'll kill anyone who tries to set them free.

i wonder who the first person in history was to come up with the idea of taking "mystery" or "nobody knows" and swapping in "God"

the first priesthood of manipulation.

i mean if they said "it's still a mystery nobody knows, pick whatever metaphor you like" it would be relatively harmless, but as soon as you have this swapped for "It's Jehovah and He gave us your land so it's cool if we kill you and make you slaves".... well just look around, the signs are everywhere.

here is a bible verse from Revelation 2:6, Jesus saying

But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitanes, which I also hate.

Rev 2:15

So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitanes, which thing I hate.
Another opinion, favoured by a number of authors, is that, because of the allegorical character of the Apocalypse, the reference to the Nicolaitans is merely a symbolic manner of reference.[3] As a symbolic reference, the "teaching of the Nicolaitans" refers to dominating the people, compared to the "teaching of Balaam" which refers to seducing the people. John, the author of Revelation, discusses domination within the church in 3 John 9-11.[8] Such a teaching would contradict "… whoever would be great among you must be your servant," Matthew 20:26.
Etymology

Nico-, combinatory form of nīko, "victory" in Greek, and laos means people, or more specifically, the laity; hence, the word may be taken to mean "lay conquerors" or "conquerors of the lay people". However, "Nicolaitan" (Greek: Νικολαϊτῶν; Νικολαΐτης) is the name ostensibly given to followers of the heretic Nicolas (Greek: Νικόλαος)—the name itself meaning "victorious over people,"
lordship over men

Someone might say "youkrst, you are anti God" to which I reply, tell me about your God and I'll decide whether I let it exist or not.

Someone will say "youkrst, you have a rather high opinion of yourself" to which I reply, how came you to have such a low opinion of yourself as to become slave to another's concept of the unknown.

What can be given existence in the mind of man can have it's existence ended in the mind of man. The mind giveth and the mind taketh away, blessed be the name of the mind :lol:

If it can be made in the mind it can be slain in the mind.

God's beware :wink:

We have to be vigilant, ever watchful, manipulators are always trying to sneak that shit in, you have to stand there like Gandalf and simply say, you shall not pass. Once that stuff gets in, and it has, there goes the neighbourhood.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”