• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

What fiction book should we read and discuss next?

Assist us in selecting our upcoming FICTION book for group discussion in this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is required to participate here!
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

What fiction book should we read and discuss next?

Unread post

What fiction book would you like for us to read and talk about next?

Please suggest a book here in this thread but ONLY if you're an active member that actually plans to participate in the next fiction discussion. If you're an author you can suggest your book IF you have at least a dozen posts on our forums AND you convince us you'll actually participate if your book is chosen as our next fiction book. Please don't use this thread for promoting your book. You can create a brand new thread in this forum for book promotion. This thread is for finding our next group discussion book.

Thank you! :bananadance:
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Re: What fiction book should we read and discuss next?

Unread post

If they have not already been discussed (remember, I was off the grid for almost a year), I have two to suggest: "All the Light We Cannot See" by Anthony Doerr, and "The Nightingale" by Kristin Hannah (I have read the first and am reading the second). Both are set in World War II France, but are not the usual war story.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
kendrab333
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I just joined July 8, 2016, so I am a still getting used to maneuvering around on this site and also figuring out how it functions and what books have been discussed and such, but I would like to recommend a few novels. Once again, not sure if they have been discussed or not yet. First, 'The Historian' by Elizabeth Kostova. Absolutely incredible book but I'd like to be able to discuss it with someone and have some honest and knowledgeable feedback. Second, 'The Swan Thieves' also by Elizabeth Kostova. I adored 'The Historian' and was informed this book was good but not as good as its predecessor and so I am extremely curious to see how it handles. Third, 'Gone with the Wind' by Margaret Mitchell. Incredible story, so much depth. I think a lot could be discussed about it and it is quite a novel so it definitely takes time for some. Fourth, 'The Outlaw of Torn' by Edgar Rice Burroughs. Another absolutely incredible book and so much action and suspense involved. To go in a direction with haven't read, 'Quicksilver' by Neal Stephenson. A book recommended to me by my brother. Would love to discuss any books with anyone though!
Lawnsong
Official Newbie!

Unread post

The Nightingale is one I would definitely enjoy discussing! :-D
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

DB Roy has begun a discussion of The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon.

At the thread linked below there is a long analysis by DB Roy, and I have posted a link to the full text (58p) as free pdf. I have not read it, but I expect DB Roy would be happy to lead a discussion. Looks like a good choice.

http://www.booktalk.org/essay-on-the-cr ... 25985.html
Leona63
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Hi....I'm brand new today....so don't know what you've already read etc.
Or if you read series....but I'm just finishing elena ferrantes 4 book series...book one, My Brilliant Friend.
I haven't read anything this good since Barbara Kingsolvers books!

And am just about to start reading The Dressmaker by Rosalie Ham...now a movie with Kate Winslet etc.
Any takers?
Leona
Isobelpoe
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I am new as well and want join in the discussion.
My suggestion(s) would be Twenty-Seventh City by Jonathan Franzen b/c it's his only book (so far!) that I haven't read. Or Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage by Alice Munro (it is not chic-lit, I have male lit professors who love her). Alas, I have two of her books that I haven't made time to read (the other one is Runaway). Is there a rule against Stephen King...I am 1/3 into The Stand.
Or we could Amerika by Kafka.
We need a fiction wheel or something to narrow it down. :D
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Do any other active members want to help us select a fiction book?
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

A poll will now be created with the following books as our options...

Book 1: All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
Book 2: The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah
Book 3: The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
Book 4: The Girl on the Train: A Novel
Book 5: Uncle Tom's Cabin
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Sorry to be late to the party, Chris. I thought Robert's suggestion to do Pynchon was a good one, and the book is available for free. The book is somewhat weird and complex, but short. I think challenging books often are best for discussions.

Return to “What fiction book should we read and discuss next?”