• In total there are 27 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 26 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Are Mediums Real?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Gnostic Bishop
Just realized BookTalk.org is awesome!

Re: Are Mediums Real?

Unread post

I did not read that particular book.

To what source does the author point to to explain how mediums know what they know?

I ask because I happen to have done telepathy twice in my long life and the difficulty level is quite high seeing as how so few seem to be able to do it.

Are mediums, like Edgar Casey for instance, just tapping into what I believe we have around us? A cosmic consciousness.

http://vimeo.com/26318064

Regards
DL
danimorg62
Gaining experience

Unread post

A priest earns his living trying to convince people that he has a relationship with dead people (Jesus/God) - he's got connections - and using his connections ("Sit right down, sinner, and confess your sins to me."), he can get you in. Whether the priest knows it is bullshit or he doesn't, he's making a living at it. Some mediums truly believe they have a gift. What is the difference?
Gnostic Bishop

Unread post

danimorg62 wrote:A priest earns his living trying to convince people that he has a relationship with dead people (Jesus/God) - he's got connections - and using his connections ("Sit right down, sinner, and confess your sins to me."), he can get you in. Whether the priest knows it is bullshit or he doesn't, he's making a living at it. Some mediums truly believe they have a gift. What is the difference?
The institutions.

Because of tax breaks and the Noble Lie, more people are duped into beliefs re-enforced every Sunday by professional liars who are in what we call institution, churches and mosques.

Regards
DL
lehelvandor
Freshman

Unread post

Very true - and by pure co-incidence, there was recently a BBC discussion about mediums and the legal framework in which they operate.
One interesting point was made by, well, a medium, that because people don't feel the mediums have behind them the whole Church as an institution, the mediums can provided a more personalised and helping service for the needy.
Of course not debating what that service is (and whether it is a service...), but there is a grain of truth: the relationship between the "client" and the medium feels like something closer to one between a psychologist and a patient, in some respect.

But then of course this actually opens the person up more for con artists etc. so it's, IMHO, even more dangerous sometimes... as the client lets all his/her guards down.
Gnostic Bishop

Unread post

lehelvandor wrote:Very true - and by pure co-incidence, there was recently a BBC discussion about mediums and the legal framework in which they operate.
One interesting point was made by, well, a medium, that because people don't feel the mediums have behind them the whole Church as an institution, the mediums can provided a more personalised and helping service for the needy.
Of course not debating what that service is (and whether it is a service...), but there is a grain of truth: the relationship between the "client" and the medium feels like something closer to one between a psychologist and a patient, in some respect.

But then of course this actually opens the person up more for con artists etc. so it's, IMHO, even more dangerous sometimes... as the client lets all his/her guards down.
I agree. That is how televangelists get lot's of cash from those they dupe. They ride Jesus' name and let their charm filled machine take deluded people for as much as they can.

I think that to be fraud yet our governments turn a blind eye to that type of crime as they need to maintain the Noble Lie that religions are somehow legitimate.

There ought to be a law, and there is, but it is not enforced. If it was anyone other than a preacher, we would charge him with fraud.

Regards
DL
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

(thanks D.M. Murdock)

it seems many still run with this :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mundus_vul ... decipiatur
"The pontifex maximus Scævola thought it expedient that the people should be deceived in religion; and the learned Varro said plainly, that there are many truths, which it is useless for the vulgar to know; and many falsities which it is fit the people should not suppose are falsities. (Note: Vid Augustin. de civ. Dei, B. 4 [...].) Hence comes the adage "Mundus vult decipi, decipiatur ergo." [4]
it's the "mushroom principle"

"keep 'em in the dark and feed 'em shite"
Last edited by youkrst on Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gnostic Bishop

Unread post

youkrst wrote:Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

it seems many still run with this :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mundus_vul ... decipiatur
"The pontifex maximus Scævola thought it expedient that the people should be deceived in religion; and the learned Varro said plainly, that there are many truths, which it is useless for the vulgar to know; and many falsities which it is fit the people should not suppose are falsities. (Note: Vid Augustin. de civ. Dei, B. 4 [...].) Hence comes the adage "Mundus vult decipi, decipiatur ergo." [4]
it's the "mushroom principle"

"keep 'em in the dark and feed 'em shite"

(thanks D.M. Murdock)
We are what we eat.

I am careful with my diet.

Regards
DL
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

We are what we eat.

Regards
DL
and if they drink any deadly thing it shall not harm them :-D
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

have you sacrificed a mind of your own? :-D

i love this bible verse
"Truly, truly, I say to you, an hour is coming and now is, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who hear will live.
i remember being dead and hearing the voice :-D
And you were dead in your trespasses and sins,

ahhh to be called out of death into the glorious sunshine of your love...

:wink:

say no more... :lol:
Gnostic Bishop

Unread post

youkrst wrote:
We are what we eat.

Regards
DL
and if they drink any deadly thing it shall not harm them :-D
That is what the dead snake handlers are saying.

Regards
DL

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”