• In total there are 34 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 34 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Are Mediums Real?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
danimorg62
Gaining experience

Re: Are Mediums Real?

Unread post

I do not believe mediums are real. I believe that some people are more intuitive than others but no one can read minds or read the future or talk with the dead.

And while, yep, there is a market... a paying audience... I'm not sure everyone making money began with ill intent. I'm trying to imagine Lorraine as a little girl. Her brother did so well in sports and her sister was an A+ student, but little Lorraine was clumsy and awkward and she longed to be praised and acknowledged the way her siblings were. One day, when the telephone rang, Lorraine said, "Betcha it's Grandma!" and it was. Lorraine's mother asked how she knew and Lorraine said, "I just knew."

"You have the gift... just like Aunt Elsie! I knew it!" said her mother.

The seed was sown.

Okay maybe that's not how it happened with Lorraine but it probably starts that way for some of them and once they are acknowledged for having special powers they convince themselves that they do. Maybe they ignore all of the times when they guessed wrong and concentrate only on the times they guessed right, or came close. Maybe someone like Lorraine believes she is helping others.

But still... I don't know... I can't help but think, "There's an ego for you."
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Movie Nerd,

There's no telepathy through radio available now, but it is definitely a way that it could happen. Either through future human technology, or even an alien's natural evolution.

The physics involved is not impossible. It just hasn't happened on earth.

But of course, even if an alien did have this feature that doesn't mean they could necessarily read our thoughts as they would be different than their "native language" of thought.

I point this out to demonstrate not only do i think telepathy (of this type at least) is possible, it's a virtual certainty with the way our telephone technology is advancing.

Telepathy, if it exists, will be mechanical or biologically mechanical, not supernatural.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
danimorg62
Gaining experience

Unread post

johnson1010 wrote:Movie Nerd,

There's no telepathy through radio available now, but it is definitely a way that it could happen. Either through future human technology, or even an alien's natural evolution.

But of course, even if an alien did have this feature that doesn't mean they could necessarily read our thoughts as they would be different than their "native language" of thought.

I point this out to demonstrate not only do i think telepathy (of this type at least) is possible, it's a virtual certainty with the way our telephone technology is advancing.

Telepathy, if it exists, will be mechanical or biologically mechanical, not supernatural.
It's nice to imagine a day when there is no longer a need for the tv remote control, when we think of a channel and there it is, but it isn't easy to conceive of it. And that would be one thing - using only our minds to communicate with machinery - but using our minds to communicate with other minds... yowza.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

danimorg wrote:It's nice to imagine a day when there is no longer a need for the tv remote control, when we think of a channel and there it is, but it isn't easy to conceive of it. And that would be one thing - using only our minds to communicate with machinery - but using our minds to communicate with other minds... yowza.
It's not too much of a stretch. If our brains can interface with machines, then there's no reason to believe that interface can't work both ways. At first, it would be very simplistic of course. Imagine a "doorbell" ringing faintly in your ears, notifying you of the alarm you set on your cellphone, communicated to your brain interface via bluetooth.

And if that's possible, there's no reason someone couldn't "ping" you, a brain to machine to bluetooth to machine to brain relay. As we grow more adept at it, the ways the machines would interface with our brains will grow more nuanced, and economics will ensure it stays non-obtrusive. I'm sure the first step, which might be decades away and take decades to mature, would be an external audio device or tooth implant. Something that is interfaced with our senses rather than directly to neurons.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Unread post

johnson1010 wrote:Movie Nerd,

Oh ok. Kind of a more in depth use of reading facial cues and body language, where you get more into the mind of a person. Am I correct in this interpretation?
I am just your typical movie nerd, postcard collector and aspiring writer.
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Unread post

The only thing I could find on facebook concerning Lorraine was her regular page, the type of page everyone has. I did not see a professional writer type page, the type you can "like" and comment on as opposed to having her be your "friend." I doubt highly she would friend me on facebook, and I didn't see anything referring to Booktalk.org on her page. She is pro-censorship an anti-dissent, it would seem.
Last edited by Movie Nerd on Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

She deleted all references to BookTalk.org from her Facebook page.
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:She deleted all references to BookTalk.org from her Facebook page.
But does she only have the one page, or does she have another page?
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Unread post

Interbane wrote:
danimorg wrote:It's nice to imagine a day when there is no longer a need for the tv remote control, when we think of a channel and there it is, but it isn't easy to conceive of it. And that would be one thing - using only our minds to communicate with machinery - but using our minds to communicate with other minds... yowza.
It's not too much of a stretch. If our brains can interface with machines, then there's no reason to believe that interface can't work both ways. At first, it would be very simplistic of course. Imagine a "doorbell" ringing faintly in your ears, notifying you of the alarm you set on your cellphone, communicated to your brain interface via bluetooth.

And if that's possible, there's no reason someone couldn't "ping" you, a brain to machine to bluetooth to machine to brain relay. As we grow more adept at it, the ways the machines would interface with our brains will grow more nuanced, and economics will ensure it stays non-obtrusive. I'm sure the first step, which might be decades away and take decades to mature, would be an external audio device or tooth implant. Something that is interfaced with our senses rather than directly to neurons.
But how close are we to achieving that kind of technology? Inside of 50 or 100 years? I would like to see the progress they are making on those experiments.
Flann 5
Nutty for Books

Unread post

It's probably just as well that we can't read minds.
Under totalitarian regimes people are often coerced, at least outwardly to conform to prescribed ideas.But if you couldn't even think differently that would be a nightmare world.
On a related topic of language and cliches the ambiguity sometimes, of language is interesting. Here's a literalist version of one.
Striking a happy medium. www.collections.tepapa.govt.nz/object/452159

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”