• In total there are 13 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 13 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Thus Spake Zarathustra

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Grim

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant

Re: Thus Spake Zarathustra

Unread post

Theomanic wrote:
Grim wrote:
Theomanic wrote:Could you give some examples of self-control bringing power? I can think of some but they're pretty thin so I don't suppose I am thinking of the right parts.
Picture this: a camel goes into the desert of current thought, transforms into a lion and rules his own domain of authentic, creative truth. This was Nietzsche's metaphor developed in "The Genealogy of Morals." Of course it follow the metaphoric theme that the lion then dominates and has territoriality issues with other animals in his oasis (my imagery), this to Nietzsche is to be expected. In this sense Nietzsche is the type that would argue the interests of one great person take over the interest of a multitude of morally, creatively, intellectually lesser people. On the life raft with 10 survivors should the one doctor aboard not be assured a share of the dwindling supplies, if only due to the potential that he will in the future be able to save a life that otherwise would have been lost.
Have you read Thus Spake Zarathustra? Because that's what we're discussing. You previously stated Nietzsche was talking about "how self control elicits a sense of power". I asked for examples of that within this text. I don't see how any of what you just said relates to this text specifically.
I don't see how a criticism of Nietzsche can be contained to a single book which serves as more of an allegory of the New Testament rather than an summation of a dead philosophers important (and ultimately influential) thought.
Theomanic wrote:
Grim wrote:So in place of full understanding we substitute a base form of contempt? When in doubt show respect, giving the benefit of the doubt and perhaps a morsel of humility in criticism prevents misstatements and personally inflected fallacies.

My advice is to save a good portion of your disgust for fellow board members.
You are making the fallacious deduction that because I do not understand I have contempt. Specifically I said writing something that cannot be understood without one having read every other work that author wrote seems vain. That has nothing to do with contempt. Beyond which, I am not inclined to agree with you that this text is completely opaque unless every other work of his has been read.

All of this aside, I can't determine if you are being a troll or just rude. I started this thread to try and determine if there are things I'd missed in this work. Belittling me for not giving the benefit of the doubt or what have you isn't really sensible in that context. I have asked you repeatedly for examples in this text and instead you spout vagaries. If your intent is to actually help understanding, you are not doing a good job. Please answer the questions given, or refer to things within the text. If you intent is to look clever or start an argument, please go elsewhere.

Luckily my disgust is not finite and so can be given to all who deserve it.
Yes, I do agree that what people do not fully understand they tend to contempt. What do you mean by contempt? You seem to be lacking context as well, this book is an allegory. Nothing intelligible can be completely opaque, the tendency seems rather to dismiss what may not be properly represented...for no other reason than that the representation is poor!! Your distaste of the eloquent Germanic style normally attributed to Nietzsche shows that you are both familiar with the common remarks made, yet unwilling to take a step outside of your personal preferences and attribute the comments of others (presumably better versed) to what is directly engaging your senses. I say this to the point that reading Nietzsche realistically constitutes a sensual experience in your opinion or not.

Making critical remarks from a position of ignorance seems to belittle any value you would hope to gain from another who may be willing to help.
Genocide
Intern

Re: Thus Spake Zarathustra

Unread post

Theomanic wrote:I did not read her introduction. However, I think it would take a somewhat immoral person not to publish his work just because she may not have agreed with it. And it's possible she did agree with it. Obviously I'm speaking from ignorance here, since I didn't read the intro - what did she say?
Heh, call me immoral then. Personally, if.... say my brother was writing a novel which mentioned Mexicans being below everyone else (and I knew that was his legitimate opinion)- I would never publish it. Maybe I'm just an immoral person, then. :] I don't know her opinion on sexism, I don't think she ever mentioned it. Which makes sense.

How Zarathustra Came Into Being

I haven't read it in quite a while, but the gist talks about where Zarathustra came from, it explains the Superman, mentions a few of Nietzsche's previous theories, and more about Nietzsche. The thing that gets me about it is that Nietzsche and his sister were not on friendly terms. Her anti-semitic ideals were just one of the reasons they weren't close. She later wrote this and used Nietzsche's work to support Hitler and fascism.

I would never change my brothers work to fit my opinion. I would rather it sit unpublished than manipulate a dead mans works.
Dropping glasses just to hear them break.

Return to “What are you currently reading?”