Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME FORUMS BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:33 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
The Zodiac in Leonardo Da Vinci's Last Supper 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book Slut

Gold Contributor

Post The Zodiac in Leonardo Da Vinci's Last Supper
Attachment:
Last Supper Zodiac.gif
Last Supper Zodiac.gif [ 195.05 KiB | Viewed 2719 times ]

Leonardo modelled the twelve apostles on the twelve constellations of the zodiac, around Jesus Christ as the sun.

Examine the positions of the hands of each apostle and compare them to the diagram of the constellation below, in order of the twelve heads across.

Aries: three visible stars with long line and short line joined at angle of 150 degrees
Taurus: One hand forms the Hyades around Aldebaran, the other hand forms the Pleiades
Gemini: Two arms ending in the twins Castor and Pollux
Cancer: Hands to the heart as a crab
Leo: left hand cupped like lions head, right hand stretched out as tail (Denebola)
Virgo: single hand similar to shape of stars

The Sun: Jesus Christ

Libra: two hands together in balance
Scorpio: Peter as exact match to shape of scorpion with arm as body and sword as sting
Sagittarius: arms and hands closely match stars
Capricorn: two hands and head form triangle
Aquarius: arms and hands exact match to stars, with left arm stretched out
Pisces: arms and hands exact match to two lines of the fishes joined by knot at shoulder

Further allegorical discussion: http://wiki.astro.com/astrowiki/en/Leon ... ast_Supper

Quote:
Leonardo da Vinci's "The Last Supper" is considered to be one of the most important paintings in the history of art. A less well known fact is that Leonardo had intensively studied a variety of mystic and spiritual teachings and that the twelve apostles are a symbolic portrayal of the twelve signs of the zodiac.
The apostle on the far right of the painting is Simon who stands for Aries, the first sign of Aries. The distinctive head and dynamically gesturing hands pointing to his left clearly illustrate this fact.
Thaddeus, the apostle immediately to Simon's left, symbolises Taurus. The powerful "Taurean neck" coupled with his hands which he is pointing at his own physical body are a testament to this.
Next comes Matthew who represents the sign of Gemini. The head and hands point in different directions, symbolising the open and often sometimes indecisive energy of Gemini.
After Matthew comes Philip who stands for the sign of Cancer, symbolised by his gentle, soft and vulnerable appearance which is the most feminine of all the apostles.
Next comes James, son of Zebedee, who stands for the sign of Leo. He has an air of certainty which is indicated, among other things, by his confidently outstretched hands.
Barely noticeable behind James is doubting Thomas, symbol for the modest sign of Virgo. When Virgo does say something it tends to be in a critical or questioning manner, as illustrated by his raised index finger.
Continuing on the other side of Jesus we find John, his favourite apostle who unmistakably stands for the sign of Libra. His whole character expresses a longing for love and harmony.
He stands in stark contrast to Judas, betrayer of Jesus. His dark, grim expression stands for the energy of Scorpio, the sign of death and transformation.
The next apostle is Peter, the Sagittarian among the apostles. He appears to be dynamic and energetic, but in a rather chaotic sense and not as focused as Aries as symbolised by Simon.
Next to him sits Andrew, who represents the sign of Capricorn. He seems rather aloof but at the same time clear and decisive. His hands are raised in a gesture that clearly indicates where his own boundaries are which makes the most steadfast impression of all the apostles.
The next disciple to his left is James, son of Alphaeus, who is the Aquarian among the disciples. He has physical contact with both Andrew and Peter, symbolising the Aquarian ideal of contact with like-minded people.
The last apostle is Bartholomew, who represents Pisces, the sign that completes the zodiac. He seems to be observing the proceedings with an air of equanimity without really being involved. It is also an interesting to note that his are the only visible feet in the whole painting. Feet are associated with Pisces. In the middle of the painting sits Jesus, the Sun around which everything revolves.
The Last Supper is not the only example of deep esoteric symbolism in great works of art. It may not be presumptuous to state that only those with an understanding of astrology and other esoteric disciplines are in a position to truly appreciate great historic works of art.

Last edited by Robert Tulip on Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:57 am, edited 3 times in total.

The following user would like to thank Robert Tulip for this post:
geo, Rajesh, tat tvam asi
Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:39 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Diamond Contributor

Post Re: The Zodiac in Leonardo Da Vinci's Last Supper
Scriptural interpretation based on allegory is strongly frowned on because it leads to precisely this type of nonsense. When allegory is used, you can make the Bible mean anything one wants and when it can mean anyting one wants, it means nothing. My interpretation is as valid as yours which contradicts a third parties, etc., etc.

“You cannot evade the issue of God, whether you talk about pigs or the binomial theory, you are still talking about Him. Now if Christianity be. . . a fragment of metaphysical nonsense invented by a few people, then, of course, defending it will simply mean talking that metaphysical nonsense over and over. But if Christianity should happen to be true – then defending it may mean talking about anything or everything. Things can be irrelevant to the proposition that Christianity is false, but nothing can be irrelevant to the proposition that Christianity is true.”
- G.K. Chesterton

Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:06 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book Slut

Gold Contributor

Stahrwe, you are as thick as two planks. Clearly you did not read my post with any attention but jumped to your usual preconceived idiot dogmatic slander. I should have posted this in the atheist forum. I hear you saying "Oh its different from my precious fossil Jesus fable so it must be nonsense." You have no morality whatsoever if you can think something so completely objectively wrong. Maybe your earlier claim to be blind is true (despite high scores on booktalk games)? You have obviously not been able to compare the hand positions in the painting to the star maps below them as I explain in simple language above.

Allegory does not allow a free for all. It proves here that Leonardo da Vinci encoded the zodiac in the Last Supper. If you can't see what someone is talking about it is the height of rudeness to dismiss it.

Apologies for feeding the troll.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:35 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Diamond Contributor

Robert Tulip wrote:
Stahrwe, you are as thick as two planks. Clearly you did not read my post with any attention but jumped to your usual preconceived idiot dogmatic slander.

To be slander what I say must:
Be false at the time I posted it.
I must know that it was false at the time I posted it.
I must have posted it with malicous intent.
And someone must be shown to have been damaged by it.

Since you don't cite the author, and since the url merely leads to an anonymous Wikipage, no person has been harmed. Is this reproduced from Murdock, TBK or Freethoughtnation.com?

Robert Tulip wrote:
I should have posted this in the atheist forum.

Had you done so I would have objected that it is did not belong there and should be under Belief, Religion, etc.

robert tulip wrote:
I hear you saying "Oh its different from my precious fossil Jesus fable so it must be nonsense."

Hallucinations do not only take the form of visual but, and the evidence is overwhelming that the most common form of hallucination is audible ergo, you hearing things when I am not there and I would not say. As proof that it is a hallucination I state that I have no idea what 'fossil Jesus fable' is.

robert tulip wrote:
You have no morality whatsoever if you can think something so completely objectively wrong.

I think you meant, 'something so completely objective' to which I respond that it is completely subjective. Is there anyting in LD's writings where he establishes the relation to the zodiac you report?

robert tulip wrote:
Maybe your earlier claim to be blind is true (despite high scores on booktalk games)?

Perhaps the force was with me. On the other hand, I never claimed to be blind did I?

Robert tulip wrote:
You have obviously not been able to compare the hand positions in the painting to the star maps below them as I explain in simple language above.

I did and got no correlation, whatsover.

robert tulip wrote:
Allegory does not allow a free for all. It proves here that Leonardo da Vinci encoded the zodiac in the Last Supper. If you can't see what someone is talking about it is the height of rudeness to dismiss it.

I see what you are talking about and it is not supported. One could come up with many different interpretations. Show us LD's explanation support you article and I will grant it to you.

robert tulip wrote:
Apologies for feeding the troll.

Who, or is it whom are you apologizing to?

“You cannot evade the issue of God, whether you talk about pigs or the binomial theory, you are still talking about Him. Now if Christianity be. . . a fragment of metaphysical nonsense invented by a few people, then, of course, defending it will simply mean talking that metaphysical nonsense over and over. But if Christianity should happen to be true – then defending it may mean talking about anything or everything. Things can be irrelevant to the proposition that Christianity is false, but nothing can be irrelevant to the proposition that Christianity is true.”
- G.K. Chesterton

Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:22 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Brains on top of brains

Gold Contributor 2

Robert Tulip wrote:
Maybe your earlier claim to be blind is true (despite high scores on booktalk games)?

What? Blind? What's that all about?

Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:53 am

Diamond Contributor

geo wrote:
Robert Tulip wrote:

What? Blind? What's that all about?

I was trying to make a point about the defficiencies of using videos in place of text for discussion purposes.

- G.K. Chesterton

Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:12 pm
Profile Email
Book Slut

Gold Contributor

stahrwe wrote:
no person has been harmed. Is this reproduced?

It is my original work. Your description of it as nonsense is a slander against me.

For the "Stahrwe is blind" discussion see his question "What would you say if I told you I was blind?" at post82953.html#p82953 followed by much nauseating disruption of an otherwise sensible thread as per the ongoing trolling agenda. However, that is off topic for this thread, and I request that if people want to talk about it they start a new thread.

I would welcome substantive comments and questions on the opening post.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:20 pm
Profile Email WWW

Diamond Contributor

Robert Tulip wrote:
stahrwe wrote:
no person has been harmed. Is this reproduced?

It is my original work. Your description of it as nonsense is a slander against me.

An opinion is not slanderous. It is called free speech and despite your efforts, it still exists at BookTalk.

Robert Tulip wrote:
For the "Stahrwe is blind" discussion see his question "What would you say if I told you I was blind?" at post82953.html#p82953

You need to be accurate and honest in your responses, another reason to include precise quotes, it limits wiggle room. For example see what you said in your response above.

My exact words were, "Where did I say I was blind?"

Your response is to include at link to my, 'what if,'. Perhaps in Australia, What if is a declaritive statement but hiere it is a question, not a claim.

robert tulip wrote:
I would welcome substantive comments and questions on the opening post.

OK, looking at the painting, the position of Jesus' hands, to me, more clearly represent a balance, therefore Libra than your suggestion. Don't you agree?

- G.K. Chesterton

Last edited by stahrwe on Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:46 pm
Profile Email
Book Slut

Gold Contributor

stahrwe wrote:
An opinion is not slanderous. It is called free speech and despite your efforts, it still exists at BookTalk.
When an opinion is false, baseless, reckless and derogatory it is slander. You are just lucky that Booktalk tolerates such conduct.
Quote:
You need to be accurate and honest in your responses, another reason to include precise quotes, it limits wiggle room. For example see what you said in your response above.
My exact words were, "Where did I say I was blind?"
You went on then after your post that I just linked to give the clear impression that you are blind by talking about use of reading software for the blind. That may be why everyone here is so full of tender compassion towards you. Your comments here compound the impression that you suffer from an intense lack of vision. I am sorry for you.

For those who are too blind to join the dots in the opening post I will provide more detailed drawings to show Leonardo must have used the zodiac as his template for the twelve apostles. This is the real Da Vinci Code. It shows Leonardo's secret continuity with the ancient tradition, cited in the main reputable Bible commentaries such as for example those of G.B. Caird and William Barclay (and I think Peake's), linking the Biblical use of the number twelve, for example the twelve jewels of the holy city, with both the twelve signs of the zodiac and the twelve tribes of Israel. Dogmatic bigots find this insufferable because they insist God is a purely supernatural superstition rather than an allegory for natural reality.

Last edited by Robert Tulip on Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:14 am
Profile Email WWW

Diamond Contributor

Robert Tulip wrote:
You are just lucky that Booktalk tolerates such conduct.

We have something in the United States called freedom of speech

Technically, written material would be libel and not slander except that my 'nonsense' reference was to a post and not to a person. A post cannot be slandered or libeled but a person can. Now, if I had referred to you as 'retarded', as some on BT have me, or if I compared you to a moronic cartoon character like Boofhead, that might constitute libel. Do you understand?

robert tulip wrote:
]You went on then after your post that I just linked to give the clear impression that you are blind by talking about use of reading software for the blind. That may be why everyone here is so full of tender compassion towards you. Your comments here compound the impression that you suffer from an intense lack of vision. I am sorry for you.
[/quote]

My suggestion of using aids was another hypothetical in response to an inquiry as to how a blind person would participate in discussions but not videos. Again, if you read the discussion I never said I was blind. Perhaps you are reading things into my statements just as you do DaVinci's works. You once stated that when you read an acient text, you try to determine what the text really means. That violates a cardinal rule of hermeneutics, that when plain sense makes sense, that is the only interpretation necessary.

I will say that I once was blind just as John Newton wrote, so in that case, what I said was accurate was it not?

robert tulip wrote:
This is the real Da Vinci Code. It shows Leonardo's secret continuity with the ancient tradition, cited in the main reputable Bible commentaries such as for example those of G.B. Caird and William Barclay (and I think Peake's), linking the Biblical use of the number twelve, for example the twelve jewels of the holy city, with both the twelve signs of the zodiac and the twelve tribes of Israel.
[/quote][/quote]

You mention Caird, Barclay and Peakes, how about citin the refeences in those works which show that the disciples represent the zodiac? Or, more to the point, how about showing it from the Bible?

BTW, I like the two to the right of Jesus in the picture for Gemini. The fact that you see two heads but only one body suggests twins to me, fraternal, perhaps conjoined, but twins.

Are you under the impression that the disciples are from each of the twelve tribes?

- G.K. Chesterton

Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:46 am
Profile Email
Book Slut

Gold Contributor

From right to left in the painting of The Last Supper we see the twelve apostles are modelled on the shape of the stars of the twelve signs of the zodiac. The secret purpose is to encode in the greatest work of western art the ultimate truth that Christ is the Sun and the twelve apostles are the divisions of the year into twelve months. Here I focus in on the parts of the picture that match the stars, with each apostle shown to match his sign, much as the ancients put their mythical heros into the constellations.
Attachment:
Simon Aries.gif
Simon Aries.gif [ 186.12 KiB | Viewed 2663 times ]
Attachment:
Thaddeus Taurus.gif
Thaddeus Taurus.gif [ 183.95 KiB | Viewed 2663 times ]
Attachment:
Matthew Gemini.gif
Matthew Gemini.gif [ 183.25 KiB | Viewed 2663 times ]

Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:44 am
Profile Email WWW
Book Slut

Gold Contributor

Attachment:
Philip Cancer.gif
Philip Cancer.gif [ 137.78 KiB | Viewed 2541 times ]
Attachment:
James Leo.gif
James Leo.gif [ 145.66 KiB | Viewed 2663 times ]
Attachment:
Thomas Virgo.gif
Thomas Virgo.gif [ 198.64 KiB | Viewed 2663 times ]

Last edited by Robert Tulip on Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:46 am
Profile Email WWW
Book Slut

Gold Contributor

Attachment:
John Libra.gif
John Libra.gif [ 120.84 KiB | Viewed 2663 times ]
Attachment:
Peter Scorpio.gif
Peter Scorpio.gif [ 174.47 KiB | Viewed 2592 times ]
Attachment:
Judas Sagittarius.gif
Judas Sagittarius.gif [ 213.25 KiB | Viewed 2592 times ]

Note: edited to correct labels

Last edited by Robert Tulip on Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:48 am
Profile Email WWW
Book Slut

Gold Contributor

From right to left in the painting of The Last Supper we see the twelve apostles are modelled on the shape of the stars of the twelve signs of the zodiac. The secret purpose is to encode in the greatest work of western art the ultimate truth that Christ is the Sun and the twelve apostles are the divisions of the year into twelve months. Here I focus in on the parts of the picture that match the stars, with each apostle shown to match his sign, much as the ancients put their mythical heroes into the constellations.

Attachment:
Andrew Capricorn.gif
Andrew Capricorn.gif [ 123.24 KiB | Viewed 2663 times ]
Attachment:
James Aquarius.gif
James Aquarius.gif [ 170.24 KiB | Viewed 2663 times ]
Attachment:
Bartholemew Pisces.gif
Bartholemew Pisces.gif [ 187.08 KiB | Viewed 2663 times ]

Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:51 am
Profile Email WWW
Book Slut

Gold Contributor

Here is an email from a friend

Quote:
Hi Rob

I had a good look at the image and I think the physical geometry of the star maps fits very well indeed with the postures and arm positions of the figures in the painting. Particularly close matches are evident for Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Scorpio (what a beauty!!), Aquarius and Pisces....

I also read through your exchanges with The Blind One on booktalk.... Made me laugh outloud numerous times. Keep it up!

Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:21 am
Profile Email WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next