• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

The Scientific Method Originated by Catholics during Middle Ages

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Re: The Scientific Method Originated by Catholics during Middle Ages

Unread post

Haffner/Jaki/Duhem are indeed revisionists since the history, as taught before them, was wrong, possibly deliberately so. So, what do you do if history is proved to be wrong, you correct the record.

Frazer is irrelevant to the discussion.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Unread post

You continue to miss the point. It is not whether there were Christians or atheists, it is that the culture changed under Christians and created an environment where science could develop.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

You continue to miss the point. It is not whether there were Christians or atheists, it is that the culture changed under Christians and created an environment where science could develop.
I've paid lip service to the contributions of Christianity, but I think it was overlooked. Either in this thread or in your other one. I understand your point. But what it seems you're doing is painting an overly lenient view of Christianity's role in the progress of science. In order to get an objective understanding, you would need to compare how science progressed under Christianity as compared to how it would have otherwise progressed. Meaning, if colleges throughout the middle ages were secular instead of Christian, what would have been different? That's almost an impossible comparison to make, as I mentioned before. What it boils down to is the opinion we each have.

An alternative comparison could be the progress of science under Christianity, and the progress of science under another religion or institution. When you make this comparison with say, Islam, the environment under Christianity doesn't compare well.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams

Return to “Science & Technology”