• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 729 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:33 am

Thanks, Science!

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Thanks, Science!

Unread post

Did you see what science just did for ths guy?

http://www.wimp.com/repairdent/
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Re: Thanks, Science!

Unread post

experiment in gyroscopic stability....

IN SPACE!!!!!

http://www.wimp.com/cdplayer/
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

That's a cool dent trick. Makes sense.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Why is glass transparent?

http://www.wimp.com/glasstransparent/

The sad link pointed out by the video below.
http://science.howstuffworks.com/question404.htm

THANKS SCIENCE!

YAY!
-Guillermo Del Torro

johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

-Guillermo Del Torro

johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

http://www.wimp.com/lightbulb/

I have been looking at solar power alternatives to a lot of the energy being wasted, and this is an interesting one.
-Guillermo Del Torro

johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

How did this happen?

http://www.wimp.com/onlyindia/

Its a goofy exploit of an understanding that will someday help us live in space, and create an approximation of gravity when our distant progeny drift between the stars.
-Guillermo Del Torro

GreggMattson
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

That would take the boredom out of those long periods doing nothing. They would obviously use electric cars in the space ships because gas exhaust would be too dangerous.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

That would be interesting, but i wasnt talking about joy riding around the space ship, i meant that using centrifugal force to generate an approximation of gravity (among other techniques) would be an important part of living in space.
-Guillermo Del Torro

GreggMattson
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

:D - I was just messing with you. Actually, you are correct that, for the continued health of extended mission crews, a replacement for gravity would be necessary yet possibly unachievable. Without debating exactly what the minimum requirements are, to provide the force (~1-G) necessary without scrambling the crew's inner ear at a comfortable RPM, those ships would need to be quite large. This was proven early in the space programs.

There's been quite a bit of research on human adaptation to rotation. They established the “Comfort Zone” was about 1.0-RPM, where even highly susceptible subjects were symptom free, or nearly so.

So, if I calculated this right, the diameter needed to achieve 1.0G at 1RPM nearly 1600 meters, plenty of room to drive a car.

Return to “Science & Technology”