• In total there are 32 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 32 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Should there be a law against public institutions that lie for money?

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Flann 5
Nutty for Books

Re: Should there be a law against public institutions that lie for money?

Unread post

Gnostic Bishop wrote:I would be as fool to think that the theory is not sound when so many sciences are using it daily. If other theories gain credibility, I am sure that the scientific community will embrace them. just as they have evolution.
There is no dispute that micro-evolutionary change takes place. Please explain how so many sciences are using macro-evolution daily.
In fact as I said, the mutations breeding program was an attempt to speed up and induce evolutionary changes. That was a field test predicated on the premises of neo-Darwinism.
It failed abysmally.
Last edited by Flann 5 on Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gnostic Bishop
Just realized BookTalk.org is awesome!

Unread post

ant wrote:[
quote]now evolution has stopped and everything is optimised you say but in the past things were different. Were organisms in the past not adapted to their environments and optimised? 
Thats actually a very good scientitifc question. And we all know that science answers questions by testing hypotheses.
Why would some organisms continue to adapt in an environment they achieved optimal adaptation?
It is not like the organism has a choice.

Adaptation is usually a defect or error in the original design that happened to find a natural niche.

If not for these errors, man would likely still not be able to speak.
What was it about the environment, say for example, that required further optimization up to, say, abstract thought and language?
Lions and lies.

We needed to warn each other at a distance. That and yelling at the kids.

.[/quote]

Apparently, Darwin predicted that there should be a finch with a proboscis of about a foot long before he even found one but figured there should be because there was a flower that produced a niche for such an adaptation.

The finch did not intentionally grow a longer proboscis. It just happened and survived as a trait because there was a niche for it.

Regards
DL
Gnostic Bishop

Unread post

Flann 5 wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:I would be as fool to think that the theory is not sound when so many sciences are using it daily. If other theories gain credibility, I am sure that the scientific community will embrace them. just as they have evolution.
There is no dispute that micro-evolutionary change takes place. Please explain how so many sciences are using macro-evolution daily.
In fact as I said, the mutations breeding program was an attempt to speed up and induce evolutionary changes. That was a field test predicated on the premises of neo-Darwinism.
It failed abysmally.
Some induced mutations experiments work well. Fruit flies are apparently one of the best subjects as they use them quite a bit.

I spoke a bit above about how Darwin predicted a form without knowing if it was there or not.

I am not qualified to speak to someone's failed experiment.

Regards
DL
Flann 5
Nutty for Books

Unread post

I don't think mutated fruit flies prove much in support of the theory, unless legs coming out of their heads is some great progressive advance in fruit fly anatomy.
I appreciate you are not an expert in science as you say Bishop, so you go with the present scientific majority view.
I'm not as sanguine about it as you are.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Micro evolution, as you call it, is no different from macro evolution with the exception of how much time is involved. It's interesting that the only tidbits of evolution you accept are those you're forced to accept because we've witnessed and documented them. We've witnessed micro evolution, so creationists are forced to admit it's real. We haven't and won't witness what you call "macro evolution" in the span of years, because it takes longer. It is what you get when you add thousands of micro evolutionary shifts. The logical connection here is exceptionally strong, reinforced by a tremendous amount of external evidence. I know the websites you find in your confirmation bias fueled searches sound reasonable, but they are all flawed in similar ways.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
Gnostic Bishop

Unread post

Flann 5 wrote:I don't think mutated fruit flies prove much in support of the theory, unless legs coming out of their heads is some great progressive advance in fruit fly anatomy.
I appreciate you are not an expert in science as you say Bishop, so you go with the present scientific majority view.
I'm not as sanguine about it as you are.
The scientific method used today is a self policing method and I have only seen the one foul up so far that concerned nuclear fusion.

It self corrected quickly as no one could duplicate the findings.

A scientists name is tied to his reputation and that is tied to their funding so they are quite careful.

Regards
DL

Return to “Current Events & History”