Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME FORUMS BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:29 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
Sceintific-evidence of god 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
No End in Sight

Post Sceintific-evidence of god
Who here has found scientific evidence of God? I talk about who here has had experiences with God? Being a spiritualist, I have had a number of experiences. He IS up there. Anyone care to share theirs?

:)
John

Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:26 pm
Profile Email
Masters

Post Re: Scientific Evidence of God?
There is no scientific evidence of a God or Gods. My experience has been he don't exist.....

Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:54 pm
No End in Sight

Star Burst wrote:
There is no scientific evidence of a God or Gods. My experience has been he don't exist.....

Well I am sorry you have never had an experience, but there IS a god up there and he is very provable. It is conventional wisdom that there is no evidence, but there is loads. Go research! lol.

Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:56 pm
Profile Email
Masters

JohnMcAdam wrote:
Star Burst wrote:

Well I am sorry you have never had an experience, but there IS a god up there and he is very provable. It is conventional wisdom that there is no evidence, but there is loads. Go research! lol.

Don't have to. You cannot prove it no more than I can. Sky Fairy only exist in the imagination.

Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:59 pm
No End in Sight

Star Burst wrote:
JohnMcAdam wrote:
Star Burst wrote:

Don't have to. You cannot prove it no more than I can. Sky Fairy only exist in the imagination.

shouldn't you be writing in the atheism column? By writing in a column about religion and straying away from your own forum to tell us what to believe is kind of rude...

Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:03 pm
Profile Email
Masters

You ask for opinions. Don't ask and you won't have to worry about replies.

Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:09 pm
No End in Sight

Star Burst wrote:
You ask for opinions. Don't ask and you won't have to worry about replies.

...riiight. Well, alright then. I was kind of going on the view of "has anyone had any experiences, please do tell us"... But what evs..lol :P

The following user would like to thank JohnMcAdam for this post:
MDuszak
Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:15 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book Slut

Gold Contributor

Hi John. Welcome to Booktalk. I agree with Star Burst that there is no evidence for the existence of divine entities. However, God talk can still be meaningful and imaginative, so please forgive Star Burst for his crotchety response. Most book talk regulars are atheist, but many have an interest in religion, as long as you don't just troll with irrational dogma.

Your ideas about extraterrestrials are really 'out there'. For a while I have suspected this is the most logical explanation for the pyramids. However, the evidence is very weak and speculative.

Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:28 pm
Profile Email WWW
No End in Sight

Robert Tulip wrote:
Hi John. Welcome to Booktalk. I agree with Star Burst that there is no evidence for the existence of divine entities. However, God talk can still be meaningful and imaginative, so please forgive Star Burst for his crotchety response. Most book talk regulars are atheist, but many have an interest in religion, as long as you don't just troll with irrational dogma.

Your ideas about extraterrestrials are really 'out there'. For a while I have suspected this is the most logical explanation for the pyramids. However, the evidence is very weak and speculative.

ah, hence the many atheist topics. Oh well.

There is a lot of evidence for a deity. Read these books if you wish...

Many Lives, Many Masters: Brian Weiss
Same Soul, Many Mobies: Brian Weiss
DMT: The Spirit Molecule: Rick Strassman
The Conscious Universe: Dean Radin
The God Theory: Bernard Haisch
Looking For Carrol Beckwith: Robert Snow
Voyage Into History: William Barnes

and my book, where I share a lot of the ideals of spirituality through my own experiences of testing the waters and finding them to be true....

but lets stick on to the topic at hand..and that is were ancient gods from other planets? Everyone always jumps to the pyramids, but there is so much more to that that its really silly to even jump to the pyramids (not you, but just in general when people do it). I could share this with you..

Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:42 pm
Profile Email
No End in Sight

JohnMcAdam wrote:
Robert Tulip wrote:

ah, hence the many atheist topics. Oh well.

There is a lot of evidence for a deity. Read these books if you wish...

Many Lives, Many Masters: Brian Weiss
Same Soul, Many Mobies: Brian Weiss
DMT: The Spirit Molecule: Rick Strassman
The Conscious Universe: Dean Radin
The God Theory: Bernard Haisch
Looking For Carrol Beckwith: Robert Snow
Voyage Into History: William Barnes
20 Cases For Reincarnation: Ian Stevenson

and my book, where I share a lot of the ideals of spirituality through my own experiences of testing the waters and finding them to be true....

but lets stick on to the topic at hand..and that is were ancient gods from other planets? Everyone always jumps to the pyramids, but there is so much more to that that its really silly to even jump to the pyramids (not you, but just in general when people do it). I could share this with you..

Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:43 pm
Profile Email
Finds books under furniture

Silver Contributor

Why did you repeat a post entirely of quotes with no new comment to add to it? That is called spamming and/or trolling, and could get you banned from the site if you continue.

If you know God exists, can you show us this "scientific evidence" of His presence? Not other people's experiences and stories, but actual physical evidence to support any such claim? Don't point me toward another book, because that proves nothing except that someone wrote something down and found someone willing to publish it. What proof is there that your God exists, beyond what you think in your head? My money is on "none."

This also doesn't mean I'm not allowed to state my opinion about the topic you've started. Believers and non-believers alike are allowed to post their opinions in any topic on this forum, as you would know if you had read the rules before posting. Don't assume that every discussion you have will only involve those who agree with you. You'll end up talking to yourself. You should also be less judgmental and more open-minded - the atheists here are good people and intelligent and good discussion companions. You shouldn't write them off because they don't agree with you. That would be childish and stupid, and I highly advise against it.

Those are my two cents. I wonder what everyone else has?

Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:34 am
No End in Sight

bleachededen wrote:
Why did you repeat a post entirely of quotes with no new comment to add to it? That is called spamming and/or trolling, and could get you banned from the site if you continue.

If you know God exists, can you show us this "scientific evidence" of His presence? Not other people's experiences and stories, but actual physical evidence to support any such claim? Don't point me toward another book, because that proves nothing except that someone wrote something down and found someone willing to publish it. What proof is there that your God exists, beyond what you think in your head? My money is on "none."

This also doesn't mean I'm not allowed to state my opinion about the topic you've started. Believers and non-believers alike are allowed to post their opinions in any topic on this forum, as you would know if you had read the rules before posting. Don't assume that every discussion you have will only involve those who agree with you. You'll end up talking to yourself. You should also be less judgmental and more open-minded - the atheists here are good people and intelligent and good discussion companions. You shouldn't write them off because they don't agree with you. That would be childish and stupid, and I highly advise against it.

Those are my two cents. I wonder what everyone else has?

Dunno why my computer did that, sir. It was not by my own actions, let me tell you!

As for showing you physical evidence, that is a ridiculous question (respectively). You can't measure spirituality with physics. It's like asking me to measure water while in space...

You seem to have an extremely negative view towards me when all I stated was that there was a proper forum to post one's beliefs of atheism. I accept that you have an opinion. That is fine. But when I asked people to post any of their stories of meetings or happenings with God or the spirit guides (angels), someone posts "There is no God", which totally diverts the purpose of the question.

As for my own proof, I have had a few experiences that have made me believe there is an afterlife. The reason I point to the authors above is because they have made it their life's work to find the afterlife (or evidence of), and they have done it. Don't shun these books away and say that I personally must come up with a magic solution. If you really wanted to know, you would look into these books. If you really do want to know now, go look at these books.

As for touchable evidence, I cannot give you any, but then again I shouldn't be able to. I can't touch something spiritual. But I can experience it. Giving you physical proof and giving you proof of the afterlife and God are two different things completely.

Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:50 am
Profile Email
Finds books under furniture

Silver Contributor

Sir? Check the little pink female sign under my username, buddy. I'm no sir.

Your title says "Scientific Evidence for God," and yet here you are, refusing to show scientific evidence. Do you even know what that means? People's experiences and beliefs are not scientific or evidence of any kind. If you wanted your thread to be "What is your experience with God," you should have named it so. Don't try to pretend you want to talk about science when you don't even know what it is.

John McAdam wrote:
As for touchable evidence, I cannot give you any, but then again I shouldn't be able to. I can't touch something spiritual. But I can experience it. Giving you physical proof and giving you proof of the afterlife and God are two different things completely.

No, they are not. If you have "scientific evidence" for God's existence, you would have proof. Since you admittedly have no proof, your statement/topic is invalid. Please admit this, change the title, and move on so you can have the discussion you really want and you will avoid making a fool of yourself by thinking your experiences are proof of anything other than what you experience. Your experience isn't proof of God. There is no "proof" of God. Take my advice. Change the title and the premise, and discuss your heavenly experiences all you want with people who care. Otherwise you're going to have the same argument with different people every single day.

The following user would like to thank bleachededen for this post:
Robert Tulip
Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:04 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
One more post ought to do it.

BookTalk.org Moderator

I think it is unlikely that religion is the result of alien encounters.

Some point to huge constructions, such as the pyramids, as proof that aliens had to be involved in out history. But why?

"There is no way primitive humans could have built the pyramids."

"Why not?"

"Because it would have taken an army of people, working round-the clock, cutting huge stones out of far off quarries and moving them pain-stakingly over logs and building mud ramps to reach the summits."

"Well, that sounds like a pretty good plan. I bet they did exactly that."

Usually, when you ask a person why building these things is impossible, they give you a pretty good plan on how to accomplish just that, with primitive means.

Gods are fictional characters who are run through plays designed to import some moral lesson. Or, sometimes, just for entertainment.

They were the ancient world's comic book superheros.

Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.

Have you tried that? Looking for answers?
Or have you been content to be terrified of a thing you know nothing about?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?

The following user would like to thank johnson1010 for this post:
bleachededen
Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:19 am
No End in Sight

johnson1010 wrote:
I think it is unlikely that religion is the result of alien encounters.

Some point to huge constructions, such as the pyramids, as proof that aliens had to be involved in out history. But why?

"There is no way primitive humans could have built the pyramids."

"Why not?"

"Because it would have taken an army of people, working round-the clock, cutting huge stones out of far off quarries and moving them pain-stakingly over logs and building mud ramps to reach the summits."

"Well, that sounds like a pretty good plan. I bet they did exactly that."

Usually, when you ask a person why building these things is impossible, they give you a pretty good plan on how to accomplish just that, with primitive means.

Gods are fictional characters who are run through plays designed to import some moral lesson. Or, sometimes, just for entertainment.

They were the ancient world's comic book superheros.

You know, it's so funny. I say god were astronauts and everyone starts bickering about pyramids. I think I say pyramids like 3 times in my book, or something to that effect. My basis is not on pyramids but actual accounts.

Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:11 am
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next