• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 742 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:59 am

Original discussion thread for "SCIENCE WAS BORN OF CHRISTIANITY"

#130: April - June 2014 (Non-Fiction)
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Original discussion thread for "SCIENCE WAS BORN OF CHRISTIANITY"

Unread post

Dr. Stacy Trasancos has authorized a limited license, at no cost, to members of BookTalk.org to discuss her book, Science Was Born of Christianity - The Teaching of Fr. Stanley L. Jaki.

The following conditions apply to this license:

THIS IS A SPECIAL EDITION OF THE BOOK, SCIENCE WAS BORN OF CHRISTIANITY – THE TEACHING OF STANLEY L. JAKI BY STACY TRASANCOS.

IT IS LICENSED SOLELY FOR USE BY MEMBERS OF BOOKTALK.ORG FOR DISCUSSION ON THE BOOKTALK.ORG SITE.

MEMBERS OF BOOKTALK.ORG ARE AUTHORIZED TO COPY AND QUOTE FROM THIS BOOK ONLY FOR DISCUSSION PURPOSES ON THE BOOKTALK.ORG SITE. ANY POSTING OF CONTENT EITHER WRITTEN OR IN ANY ELECTONIC FORM ANYWHERE OTHER THAN ON BOOKTALK.ORG IS A VIOLATION OF THIS LICENSE AND THE COPYRIGHT OF THIS BOOK AND MAY BE SUBJECT TO CIVIL ACTION. THIS INCLUDES THE COPYING AND POSTING OR PRINTING OF QUOTES FROM COMMENTS BY BOOKTALK.ORG MEMBERS.

IN OTHER WORDS, YOU CAN ONLY COPY AND POST MATERIAL ON BOOKTALK.ORG. YOUR CAN NOT TAKE IT OUTSIDE OF BOOKTALK.ORG.

THIS LICENSE IS FOR A LIMITED TIME. DURING THAT TIME YOU MAY DOWNLOAD THIS FILE TO YOUR COMPUTER OR OTHER DEVICE BUT YOU MAY NOT SHARE IT.

UPON TERMINATION OF THE DISCUSSION ON BOOKTALK.ORG ALL DOWLOADED COPIES OF THIS BOOK WILL BE DELETED FROM ALL DEVICES IT WAS DOWNLOADED TO.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: SCIENCE WAS BORN OF CHRISTIANITY FULL TEXT LIMITED LICENSE

Unread post

Please thank Dr Trasancos for this kind gesture.

I plan to download soon (on my mac)

:)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Thanks Dr. Trasancos and Stahrwe. ;-)
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

There is some jockeying of definitions at the start. I only gave it a cursory glance, and will read more later. I'm always skeptical of shoehorning concepts by setting parameters on definitions. For example, science isn't necessarily exact. There are fields that deal in probabilities. Science is also partially semantic, in the creation of models.
Solid reasoned discourse, including philosophy and theology, does not need quantification
from exact science to support it, since those discourses ought to be able to stand on their own
merit
At some point, all reasoned discourse must have some sort of anchor to reality. If we're to talk about 'something', then the status of that something is required before we start chopping it up with logic. The status doesn't need to be quantitative, it could be qualitative. Tried and true processes ensure the base material that we reason about is sound.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Even though almost all historians of science now support the contributions of the Roman Catholic Church during and before the Middle Ages, even Catholic historians of science are reluctant to embrace Jaki’s theological argument that the Christian worldview was responsible for the birth of science.
I've known that historians have said this about Christianity facilitating science, but I'm not too sure that we have to concede the point on that basis. Is the agreement really as nearly universal as she says? This would be the matter to look into first, before we even get to her claim that the religion gave birth to science. There could be other explanations for the success of science if the correlation between the two even holds up.

There is a list of objections to the science/religion nexus on the evolutionistrue website.

http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com ... f-science/
Last edited by DWill on Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

Chris, Are you going to set up a sub-forum and chapters for this discussion? I think this is way too much for one thread...
Isaiah 1:15

But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.
Exodus 21: 23 - 25
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
United States of America

Unread post

There's no question in my mind that religion was crucial in bringing about long periods of social stability that allowed intellectual and artistic achievements to take place. It’s another thing to say that Christianity “gave birth to science” especially when you consider that so much of the groundwork for science came long before Christianity. Indeed, the Enlightenment was a rejection of the Church’s authority on matters of science and rationality. While Catholics in Rome were banning books and forcing Galileo to cease and desist his theories on heliocentrism, the scientific movement was moving to the Protestant north where new ideas were better tolerated.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/enlightenment/

I don't think the idea that science was born of Christianity is something you're going to find in most history books, or at least not stated in such simplistic terms. (However you will find it on Conservapedia (http://www.conservapedia.com/Christianity_and_science)). As such it seems more like religion apologia than actual history, an idealization of a time when science and religion were intermingled and when the Catholic Church did actually veto scientific knowledge.

So I’m not sure I’ll read Dr. Stacy Trasancos’ book, but here’s an article by Fr. Jaki that probably goes into many of these ideas. For example, Jaki claims that much of science is based on supernatural revelation in the Bible. Jaki also seems fairly entrenched in what he calls a “cultural contest” between science and religion. (Read what Jaki says about Carl Sagan and tell me he doesn’t have some sour grapes).

http://catholiceducation.org/articles/s ... c0005.html

I guess I see a fairly liberal definition of what constitutes religion and what constitutes science. For most of humanity it wasn’t possible to separate the two, so what’s the impetus to look back on history and do that retroactively? The Bible includes a lot of history and myth that represents human experience. Much of the source material actually predates Christianity. And, by the way, so does the idea that we should be kind to one another. Some people may believe the idea of altruism is Biblical, but we also see its beginnings in the animal kingdom.

There seems to be an agenda to rack up points for religion when, in fact, science is a very human endeavor. Ever since humans started tinkering with things and trying to figure out how things work, they were dabbling in science to some degree.

Edit: (Perhaps) a relevant quote by William James:

"It does not follow, because our ancestors made so many errors of fact and mixed them with their religion, that we should therefore leave off being religious at all. By being religious we establish ourselves in possession of ultimate reality at the only points at which reality is given us to guard. Our responsible concern is with our private destiny, after all.”
-Geo
Question everything
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

Did you read the Jaki article?

Where did you obtain the William James quote?

I am unclear about your decision not to read Dr. Trasancos' book.
Do you believe you already know all the facts surrounding the history of science and Dr. Trasancos/Jaki/Duhem are wrong?
That is a significant claim given Dr. Jaki's, and Dr. Duhem's reputations and Dr. Trasanco's research.

The premise of the book is not that religion (Christianity) provided a period of stability which allowed for scientific progress. The premise of the book is that prior cultures were inhibited by attitudes which prevented science from progressing. These impediments were eliminated by the church.

You also are falling for the urban legend about Galileo and his trial. The reasons for it, along with the Bruno affair and others, including the Flat Earth Myth, are misrepresentations in order to promote an attitude of dismissal toward Christianity.

These comments are my own and do not include guidance from Dr. Trasancos other than from my reading of her book so I am solely responsible for the above.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

Stahrwe wrote:The premise of the book is that prior cultures were inhibited by attitudes which prevented science from progressing. These impediments were eliminated by the church.
I'm seeing a bunch of correlation and speculation in forming the argument. I read most of it, through Roger Bacon's bit. Every Egyptian had a certain mindset? I would think there are hundreds if not thousands of other variables that were every bit as instrumental in why science failed in earlier cultures, and why it eventually reached critical mass in the middle ages. In many of the earlier cultures, the intellectual infrastructure simply wasn't in place. Not to say the progress of science was linear, but that much of what came before was necessary for critical mass to occur. To use Jaki's analogy, some branches had to grow to fruition to find the anomalies at the tips.

Muslims made contributions to science that were directly motivated by their religion. Islam was a better womb for science than Christianity. The medical contributions were science, and no definition shifting will change that. In both Islam and Christian areas, the adherence to aristotelian physics seems to have been the main impediment. It was a paradigm that needed anomalies for people to shift away from it.

I don't see how cyclical ideologies are supposed to have caused stillbirths. Much of nature is in fact cyclical. Why would this hamper understanding? Sure, there's correlation, but showing causation is a different animal.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

What counts as science is to a large degree determined by the historical context.

The translation movements undertaken by Christianity and Islam were monumental in both preserving and building natural philosophy into what we today call "science"

Theological considerations of the monotheistic religions were the lens each used to help understand the natural world. Monotheism did NOT disdained the practice of "science" in the manner that has been popularized today - the conflict between science and religion. That's simply false and something modern historians dismiss as ahistorical.

As I've said many times before, the Galileo saga is the poster child for the mythical conflict thesis. There were many practicing scientists during Galileo's life that were neither persecuted or exiled. Galileo's unfortunate predicament was largely his own doing. This is not something I'm personally promoting as an apologist. It's a historical FACT.

The unfavorable political climate, Galileo's unkind portrayal of his friend (Urban), and his refusal to present heliocentrism as a hypothesis lacking corroborating evidence (there were other natural philosophers at the time that did not accept it as fact) ultimately sealed his fate.

Contrary to what some people believe, Galileo was not thrown into a dungeon and fed bread and water for the rest of his life. He actually was subjected to a hospitable "house arrest."

The historical interaction between religion and science is highly complex. It's easy and intellectually lazy to toss blanket statements around in an attempt to demonize religion.
Honest research will enable you to expose the frauds that play this game.

Return to “Science Was Born of Christianity: The Teaching of Fr. Stanley L. Jaki - by Stacy Trasancos”