• In total there are 72 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 71 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Rihard Dawkins Interview on Slate

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Re: Rihard Dawkins Interview on Slate

Unread post

ant wrote:
It is wrong for a man to say he is certain of the objective truth of any proposition unless he can provide sufficient evidence which logically justifies the certainty - T.H. Huxley
It's Dawkins that asserted an objective truth with his proposition "there's no such thing as a driving force" (in nature).
It's essentially a proposition which stems from the "logical sin" false dilemma
But we won't give that logical sin too much play time here.
Here we go again. Ant just waits for something that sounds like certainty so he can pounce and say, "aha, you can't be certain." Burden of proof confusion yet again. Most people understand that science doesn't deal in certainty.

Doesn't Dawkins and every other writer know that when they make a statement, there should be an asterisk next to every sentence saying "an alternative possible explanation is that God did it. We can't disprove that."
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Re: Richard Dawkins Interview on Slate

Unread post

Ant said This is a tired, old counter response to what actually is ancient paganism - much different from theistic belief in ONE God that underlines the fabric of existence and has been theologically scrutinized and interpreted throughout mankind's brief history.
Heh, no not paganism - all those old ideas exist in the Bible.
So, no objective evidence of a divine or purposeful driving force in nature?
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

LanDroid wrote:
Ant said This is a tired, old counter response to what actually is ancient paganism - much different from theistic belief in ONE God that underlines the fabric of existence and has been theologically scrutinized and interpreted throughout mankind's brief history.
Heh, no not paganism - all those old ideas exist in the Bible.
So, no objective evidence of a divine or purposeful driving force in nature?
Can you direct me to the bible verse that states God is the God of Thunder?
Of Lightning?
Of Rain?
Of War?
Of Beauty?
Or Fertility?

As in the God of Christianity?

And of course we are now way out in left field here because my initial questioning was on what Dick Dawkins quote and you're far off the primary talking point with your talk of paganism and the Bible.

How much more blood do you have for your red herring?
Last edited by ant on Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Doesn't Dawkins and every other writer know that when they make a statement, there should be an asterisk next to every sentence saying "an alternative possible explanation is that God did it. We can't disprove that."
the logical sin "strawman"

Got enough straw?
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

LyndaO wrote:Flatfish flounders taste really good, Geo.

Driving force? Staying alive. Most life wants to stay alive and works toward that end. Is that a driving force? It's the 'keep on stepping' rule.

Here's an interesting article:
http://philosophynow.org/issues/99/Simon_Blackburn
Maybe I'll start a thread on Infidels.

I hope everyone has a great New Year!
Thanks for cutting to the chase. You capture most of what I think of by "driving force." It doesn't matter that the force may be blind and purposeless (though endlessly creative): it's still quite amazing and something whose source I don't begin to understand.

Good interview with Blackburn, wickedly humorous in places. I can't come close to his ability to speak with crystal clarity, but I can quote Dylan Thomas on this "force"!

Have a great year, too.

The Force That through the Green Fuse Drives the Flower
By Dylan Thomas

The force that through the green fuse drives the flower
Drives my green age; that blasts the roots of trees
Is my destroyer.
And I am dumb to tell the crooked rose
My youth is bent by the same wintry fever.

The force that drives the water through the rocks
Drives my red blood; that dries the mouthing streams
Turns mine to wax.
And I am dumb to mouth unto my veins
How at the mountain spring the same mouth sucks.

The hand that whirls the water in the pool
Stirs the quicksand; that ropes the blowing wind
Hauls my shroud sail.
And I am dumb to tell the hanging man
How of my clay is made the hangman’s lime.

The lips of time leech to the fountain head;
Love drips and gathers, but the fallen blood
Shall calm her sores.
And I am dumb to tell a weather’s wind
How time has ticked a heaven round the stars.

And I am dumb to tell the lover’s tomb
How at my sheet goes the same crooked worm.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

(though endlessly creative): it's still quite amazing and something whose source I don't begin to understand.
Thanks for that comment, DWill.

"Creative" does imply Mind however.
To say that brains are the only creative force in Nature is anthropocentric and arrogantly presumptuous.
To say ours is the only creative mind universally is to say our intelligence is enough to assert the objective proposition,
"There is NO purposeful driving force in nature"
And that is an Argument from Ignorance.

If our understanding is limited, and like you, we acknowledged it is, to say nature is endlessly creative but not purposeful in any way we understand completely is saying we can not define nature as "blind" or without a "driving force" (also is pregnant with connotations of Intelligence).

Good comment.
Thanks again.
Last edited by ant on Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote:Geo wrote:
Is it "driving force" that allows more round than flat rocks to settle at the bottom of a hill?
Well now, here we have a great comparison being made here:
inanimate matter with Life (as we understand it, of course).

it is logical to conclude that since no intelligence is needed to drive flat rocks to settle at the bottom of a hill, it follows that no driving force is needed for Life (as we understand it, of course).

I love the muscle logic displayed here!

If you are saying what I think you are, that God as a concept is too nebulous, therefore a driving force that is God certainly does not exist, then I'd say that is intellectually pathetic.
So out of my entire post, you pick one thing and twist it around to something I didn't say (not even close). I thought my point was pretty clear, but apparently not to someone who is motivated to miss the point. I could repost that post and leave out the line about the rocks. Would you then actually respond to what I said?

Anyway, I never said that God certainly doesn't even exist. You're the one talking about "driving force." So trying to parse your words into something coherent, I think what you're trying to say is that Richard Dawkins is a heinous villain because he dares to say that something like "driving force" doesn't exist in the universe. And, yet, you can't even say what "driving force" is. Holy crap! I give up.
Last edited by geo on Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Geo
Question everything
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

On the morning of the third day there was thunder and lightning, with a thick cloud over the mountain, and a very loud trumpet blast. Everyone in the camp trembled. 17 Then Moses led the people out of the camp to meet with God, and they stood at the foot of the mountain. 18 Mount Sinai was covered with smoke, because the Lord descended on it in fire. The smoke billowed up from it like smoke from a furnace, and the whole mountain trembled violently. Exodus 19

One example of non-pagan super-nature... Examples of this non-pagan God winning wars are numerous... The Catholic church's punishment of Galileo over heliocentrism was decidedly non-pagan.

I was not posting a red herring, merely showing a line of the "god of the gaps" and asking twice for your objective evidence for a divine or purposeful driving force in nature. Which you ignored.
Last edited by LanDroid on Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

We already know that life "wants to stay alive"

Explain to me what your example of rocks has to do with LIFE and what Dawkins has asserted.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

LanDroid wrote:
On the morning of the third day there was thunder and lightning, with a thick cloud over the mountain, and a very loud trumpet blast. Everyone in the camp trembled. 17 Then Moses led the people out of the camp to meet with God, and they stood at the foot of the mountain. 18 Mount Sinai was covered with smoke, because the Lord descended on it in fire. The smoke billowed up from it like smoke from a furnace, and the whole mountain trembled violently. Exodus 19

One example of non-pagan super-nature... Examples of this non-pagan God winning wars are numerous...

I was not posting a red herring, merely showing a line of the "god of the gaps" and asking twice for your objective evidence for a divine or purposeful driving force in nature. Which you ignored.

This is not a God of the Gaps argument.
I was questioning Dakwins objective proposition "there is no driving force"
And the God of the Bible either encouraging or supporting wars is not an example of a God in the bible claiming to be the God of War.

Geez..,

These types of responses are typical "New Atheist" mumble-jumble that makes no sense in relation to my line of questioning here.
Last edited by ant on Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”