• In total there are 14 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 13 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Religions are fairy tales for adults. Should we encourage them to grow up?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Gnostic Bishop
Just realized BookTalk.org is awesome!

Re: Religions are fairy tales for adults. Should we encourage them to grow up?

Unread post

Flann 5 wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:Christians tend not to be too bright.
Thanks for the politically correct version, G.B. We all know who the "brights" are.
Gnostic Bishop wrote:I could bother with a more politically correct insult but it would likely go over his head.

Strangely though, I seem to understand the sanitized alternative quite well.

In any case you can't help it as evolution makes you do it. So don't blame me, as I didn't have anything to do with your evolution.
Remember,"we owe a huge thanks to evolution for this competition," so you are just expressing your thanks to evolution for this competition.

P.s. On the question of Gnosticism and it's representations,it was more in jest that I asked if they were doing drugs with the psychedelic artwork. A lot of it is downright weird even if it's not your particular version of Gnostic thought.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6563pXgW69I
No weirder than the latest Christian guy who had a near death experience and found himself to be a spot on a butterflies wing. Nah. Drugs could not be involved in that. Right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtiMw0-akAM

What, other than really wild drugs, would convince men that a God would actually die for them to forgive them, --- instead of just forgiving them outright.

Only a really big fools or a good drug would cause such a stupid belief.

Regards
DL
Last edited by Gnostic Bishop on Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flann 5
Nutty for Books

Unread post

Gnostic Bishop wrote:What, other than really wild drugs, would convince men that a God would actually die for them to forgive them, --- instead of just forgiving them outright.

Leaving aside these more personal elements to our comments G.B, I think there is an occult aspect to some of these alternative religions even if you don't believe these realms exist.

They are assuming that they do. Robert Tulip in his (not Gulliver's) travels blog mentioned reading Carlos Casteneda's books.
R.T.is a Gnostic of some kind. I'm sure he can explain better himself.
Even Sam Harris recounts his mind state altering experiences in the past under chemical influence and he promulgates a secular version of "spirituality."
In your explanation which I think is based on Freke and Gandy's ideas you mention activating the pineal gland in order to open a third eye to achieve gnosis. This is quite occult imagery.
I know a saying of Jesus is used for this, but it's at least debatable that he was talking about the pineal gland.

There's a tension between what I would call strict materialism and a spiritual leaning that is not unusual but seems contradictory to hold simultaneously.
Some would say they are mutually exclusive so I wonder how you put these two things together,G.B.?
Gnostic Bishop
Just realized BookTalk.org is awesome!

Unread post

Flann 5 wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:What, other than really wild drugs, would convince men that a God would actually die for them to forgive them, --- instead of just forgiving them outright.

Leaving aside these more personal elements to our comments G.B, I think there is an occult aspect to some of these alternative religions even if you don't believe these realms exist.

They are assuming that they do. Robert Tulip in his (not Gulliver's) travels blog mentioned reading Carlos Casteneda's books.
R.T.is a Gnostic of some kind. I'm sure he can explain better himself.
Even Sam Harris recounts his mind state altering experiences in the past under chemical influence and he promulgates a secular version of "spirituality."
In your explanation which I think is based on Freke and Gandy's ideas you mention activating the pineal gland in order to open a third eye to achieve gnosis. This is quite occult imagery.
I know a saying of Jesus is used for this, but it's at least debatable that he was talking about the pineal gland.

There's a tension between what I would call strict materialism and a spiritual leaning that is not unusual but seems contradictory to hold simultaneously.
Some would say they are mutually exclusive so I wonder how you put these two things together,G.B.?
The main answer from Gnostic Christian Jesus is that materialism, matter and the physical world are all, (evolving perfection -- to me ), and the best of all possible world and condition to the easier way for you to understand.

Jesus said, "If those who attract you say, 'See, the Kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you.
If they say to you, 'It is under the earth,' then the fish of the sea will precede you.
Rather, the Kingdom of God is inside of you, and it is outside of you.
[Those who] become acquainted with [themselves] will find it; [and when you] become acquainted with yourselves, [you will understand that] it is you who are the sons of the living Father.
But if you will not know yourselves, you dwell in poverty and it is you who are that poverty."

Here is a mind exercise. Tell me what you see when you look around. The best that can possibly be or an ugly and imperfect world?

Candide.
"It is demonstrable that things cannot be otherwise than as they are; for as all things have been created for some end, they must necessarily be created for the best end.”

That means that we live in the best of all possible worlds, given all the conditions at hand. That is an irrefutable statement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOGEyBe ... r_embedded

------------------

Gnostic Christian Jesus had another way of saying it and showing the importance of our bodies and matter.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline ... /mary.html

For where the mind is, there is the treasure.

The Saviour answered and said, 'He does not see through the soul nor through the spirit, but the mind which [is] between the two - that is [what] sees the vision...'

Matthew 6:21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

The mind is of course the product of the brain which is matter. Without it we could not access the Godhead. Here, the Godhead is our own mind running on both hemispheres after the pineal gland activates it.

Nowhere in the Gnostic Gospels or anywhere else have I read of my type of apotheosis to a mind exterior to my our own where many consciousness' were housed.

It is my hope that I somehow skipped a step to an even higher plane which science may be just finding.

https://vimeo.com/26318064

Go ahead now and throw your insults alluding to my delusion and fantasy now but know that what you or anyone else thinks is of almost no importance to me. If it was I would hold back information and to me that is as good as a lie and I never lie.

Regards
DL

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”