• In total there are 21 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 21 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Reading for pleasure! What are you reading now?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
coffeeaddict
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Penelope wrote:Hello Coffeeaddict - Welcome - I have read a couple of Sophie Kinsella's - One was the Confessions of a Shopaholic and the other was a spinnoff from that with a similar title......they were both great fun to read.

I am amazed at your reading 'Sir Gawain and the Green Knight'.....that was reputed to have been written by a Monk in Shropshire (I think) very close to here.....on the borders of Wales. Are you in the UK?

Sir Gawain is the Welsh equivalent of Sir Gallahad in the King Arthur Legend I think. It is not an easy read is it? But I do like it somehow. Was it written in the Dark Ages? I would be interested to hear what you all think of it and what your tutor says about it. In fact I would love to come and sit in on your classes because that book/poem needs a knowledgable tutor to help the reader appreciate it properly I would have thought.
Heya Penelope (I adore that name btw, have used it for characters in my writing). I am in Australia actually. Sir Gawain is a bit tough to get through. When I first started I really struggled, but I'm almost finished reading it now and I can say it has gotten much easier. It is quite an enjoyable story once you get your head around the language.

I am studying this course by distance education, so there is a LOT of discussion on the subject discussion board (hard to keep up with sometimes). The tutor chimes in on various occasions, but it is mostly student discussion. Not all bad, but could be better.

I am loving Can You Keep a Secret by the way! You should read it :)

Thanks for the warm welcome.
wtownandrews
Getting Comfortable

I'm reading...in Audio and on Paper...

Unread post

Audio: The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. A novel about books, the joy of books (beyond just reading...the joy of knowing them, having them, cherishing them) and some adventures and mystery. Very melodramatic, very passionate in a mid-20th century latin kind of way. Light and enjoyable so far.

Paper: Empire of the East by Fred Saberhagen. The cover blurbs compare it to Tolkien, so perhaps my expectations are too high. 80 pages in and it hasn't captured me yet, and may get dumped if I hit 100 and the feeling hasn't overcome me...so far seems like a fairly routine magical world fantasy adventure
bohemian_girl
Book Nut

Unread post

My inner teenager has been sucked into the Twilight series by Stepanie Meyer. I'm reading Eclipse, the third book in the trilogy at the moment. The whole forbidden love thing is what I love about it.

I'm also reading Emma's War by Deborah Scroggins. It's the true story of a free spirited British aid worker in Africa who fell in love with a Sudaneese warlord.
jaywalker
Experienced

Reading for pleasure! What are you reading now?

Unread post

Ralphinlaos-J.L. Burke ,one of my favourites. I like Clete Purcell,'' When the law starts to favour the Low Lifes,change the law'' my memory of one of his quotes. I'm even keener on Elmore Leonard and Carl Hiaason.
I'm not at all keen on 'Serial Killers' I find that writing about them is a bit of a Cop out. No plot needed-''Well he's mad ain't he ?'' Lawrence Block is also good but sometimes his Alcoholic PI Matthew Scudder can annoy with his drinking. Have you tried Kinky Freidman ? A strange writer but fascinating. {The last Jewish Texan Cowboy.} Ciao. J.
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

I am reading A Devil's Chaplain by Richard Dawkins. It is a great refresher! I love his passion and the way he is so straightforward. His writings on Gould are very interesting.
bibliophile_18
Master Debater

Unread post

Right now, I'm not reading anything--I don't have any idea where the public library is here! I just finished the Tears of Artamon trilogy and volume 20 of Fruits Basket. -_- November is forever away for the next-to-last volume of that...and I am willing to take suggestions on all forms of books that I can buy! I really need something to read to keep me occupied better than the computer.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

A very cheering read, recommended above all others by me!!!

'A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Gallaxy' - by Douglas Adams

If I were marooned on a desert island......this series of books are the ones I would choose to have with me.

It is a trilogy - of five books!!!!

Added to the five is a wonderful volume called 'Mostly Harmless'

Also I recommend 'The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul' by the same author.
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
gig
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I loved the Shadow of the Wind...excellent book..reading New England White be Stephen Carter...and just finished Turows limitations
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

I am reading Pinker's Stuff of Thought. So far, I like his Blank Slate better.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

tarav wrote:I am reading Pinker's Stuff of Thought. So far, I like his Blank Slate better.
I still have to read "Slate", but I really liked "Stuff".

I am listening to "What Happened" by Scott McClellan. Good book. I love hearing an insiders view as they tend to be more true to what happened. He gives a balanced, but honest (still much to the detriment of the Bush admin) assessment.

I have not had time to read, I mean read, a book for much of this year. I have been listening to audio books. I never cared for them much, but they are doing the trick to keep me reading books. I cannot listen to fiction, but non-fiction seems to settle well.

Mr. P.

Return to “Everything Else”