• In total there are 31 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 30 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Reading for pleasure! What are you reading now?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

Jersey:
Why not just devote all of your attention to a single book? Do you believe that reading more than one book may take away from some of the nector you may get out of devoting all of your attention and thoughts to a single work? Hey, if it helps... maybe I should be getting started on one or two more books.
I read two books at once. I have an upstairs book and a downstairs book.

I read in bed, of course, don't we all? Unless, it becomes a very gripping book, then I read it upstairs and downstairs and in my lady's chamber.

I sometimes become so gripped,that I read whilst I'm ironing.
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

I am almost finished reading the last book in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by D. Adams. It is light entertainment.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

tarav:

I'm a great fan of Hitchiker's Guide - my favourit in the series is the one called, 'Mostly Harmless'.

I love Marvin the Paranoid Android best of all the characters. He really cheers me up. :D
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

Rafael Sabatini
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

That is funny, Penelope! I bet Marvin would be seriously depressed about the fact that he cheers you! LOL
GentleReader9

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Internet Sage

Unread post

Sometimes I go on streaks where I read all the books by an author I have decided to like that I can find, or parallel streaks with two or three favorite authors' books going on at once. Right now I have three parallel streaks of authors.

I am on maybe my fifth or sixth reading of Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen. I usually think it is my favorite book by her, and although I have read it several times before, I still had to set it down last night and laugh out loud for a minute over Catherine's exclamation to Mr. Tilney, "Your housekeeper is not really Dorothy!" a line that will crack me up no matter how many times I read it.

Streak two is Sheri S. Tepper. I recently finished Gibbon's Decline and Fall which I enjoyed even more than I had The Gate to Women's Country or A Plague of Angels. I'm not one hundred percent certain that I would always agree with her about everything, but her books leave such gracious space for that within them that I don't care.

Streak three has just begun so freshly that I am going to have to look up this author's name to get the next book because I've forgotten it already. The title of the first one was Death Comes as Epiphany and it is a murder mystery/romance set in the contemporary France of Heloise and Abelard. I think her name is Sharan Newman. The historic setting and plot aren't completely the way it was, I'm afraid, but interesting and vividly good enough a story for me not to care about that, either.

I will probably be reading books by these three women for a little while now.
"Where can I find a man who has forgotten the words so that I can talk with him?"
-- Chuang-Tzu (c. 200 B.C.E.)
as quoted by Robert A. Burton
MaryLupin

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Junior

Unread post

I have to say I adore Sherri Tepper. The first book of her's that I read was Gate to Women's Country. I read it during a patch of watching my women friends get run over by the men in their lives and Tepper became a touchstone. I haven't read all of her stuff but so far I think I have liked The Fresco best. I have never been able to think of "ugly disease" without laughing.
I've always found it rather exciting to remember that there is a difference between what we experience and what we think it means.
gjswriter
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Sword Song by Bernard Cornwell

Unread post

As an author I read for three reasons. Pleasure, pure escape and Ideas. Sword Song is the fourth in Cornwell's historical fiction series on the Saxons and the period of formation when the Saxons were trying to expel the Danes and Norsemen. You may know Cornwell by his Richard Sharpe series. I highly recommend them all.

Greg
www.gregoryjsaunders.com
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I second that gis!!!

Bernard Cornwell - top hole writer.

Patricia Cornwell is good too. It's a pity they are both Co's and right at the very top of the ladder in our shop. :laugh:

Rafael Sabatini
GentleReader9

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Internet Sage

Unread post

Mary Lupin Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:25 pm
I have to say I adore Sherri Tepper. The first book of her's that I read was Gate to Women's Country. I read it during a patch of watching my women friends get run over by the men in their lives and Tepper became a touchstone. I haven't read all of her stuff but so far I think I have liked The Fresco best. I have never been able to think of "ugly disease" without laughing.

I've always found it rather exciting to remember that there is a difference between what we experience and what we think it means.

And I have to say I am growing to adore Mary Lupin! Where have you been all my life? I think you and I have many a pleasant and stimulating book and life discussion in our future. (At least I hope so.) I have been catching up on your posts here that have been taking place while I was inactive and I am convinced that you have much to teach me. I also have had several life-changing dreams, like the one that caused you to choose your user name, an account I thoroughly enjoyed, so I feel a distinct sense that we might share other affinities. What books are your favorites that I might not have read yet?
"Where can I find a man who has forgotten the words so that I can talk with him?"
-- Chuang-Tzu (c. 200 B.C.E.)
as quoted by Robert A. Burton
Grim

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant

Unread post

Starting Going to Meet the Man by James Baldwin today now that I have finished everything else I was reading.

http://www.anobii.com/grim/books

:book:

Return to “Everything Else”